Ishrat case: Court rejects arrest warrant against cop
Ahmedabad: A special CBI court Thursday rejected the application of CBI seeking arrest warrant of Additional Director of Police, CID (crime), P P Pande in the 2004 Ishrat Jahan fake encounter case.
The judge, however, issued transfer warrant for another accused D G Vanzara, who is behind bars in Sohrabuddin Shaikh and Tulsi Prajapati fake encounter cases.
DySP and investigation officer Kalaimani today submitted an application for arrest warrant for Pande, claiming that he was evading summons for interrogation.
Special judge S H Khutwad rejected it on the ground that the accused was not yet declared an `absconder`, and he was a serving police officer.
Pande, a 1980-batch IPS officer of Gujarat cadre, was joint police commissioner in Ahmedabad when Ishrat Jahan, Javed Shaikh alias Pranesh Pillai, Amjadali Akbarali Rana and Zeeshan Johar were killed in an encounter on June 15, 2004.
Gujarat police had claimed that they were terrorists who had arrived in the city to assassinate Chief Minister Narendra Modi.
On February 21, 2013, the CBI court had refused to issue arrest warrant for another accused inspector Bharat Patel, who was later arrested by the central probe agency.
But the judge accepted the CBI`s application on Vanzara, who is also an accused in the Ishrat Jahan case. As the Sohrabuddin Sheikh case has been shifted to a Mumbai court, Vanzara along with the other accused was taken there.
CBI now wants Vanzara`s custody in the Ishrat case. It has so far arrested six Gujarat police officers in this case -- IPS officer G L Singhal, Tarun Barot, N K Amin, J G Parmar, Bharat Patel and Anaju Chaudhary.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Reptile fossil explains how snakes lost their legs
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living