Ishrat case: Girish Singhal not to withdraw resignation
Ahmedabad: Girish Singhal, the first police officer from Gujarat to be arrested in the Ishrat Jahan fake encounter case, on Wednesday said he would not withdraw his resignation.
When asked by reporters -- while he was being taken out of court by CBI officers -- whether he would withdraw his resignation, Singhal, an IPS officer, said, "No, I won`t."
He was brought to the magistrate`s court today following completion of six-day CBI remand. He and retired DSP J G Parmar, who was also in CBI custody, were remanded in judicial custody by the court as CBI did not seek further remand.
Singhal had tendered his resignation from the Indian Police Service (IPS) after his arrest. But the state Home department questioned authenticity of signature on the resignation letter, and said it would be verified.
Singhal has said in the resignation letter that police department and the government failed to protect him from victimisation.
Singhal, posted as Superintendent of Police at the State Crime Records Bureau, was arrested by CBI on February 21.
He was Assistant Commissioner of Police, Detection of Crime Branch (DCB), Ahmedabad, when 19-year-old Thane-based girl Ishrat Jahan, Javed Sheikh alias Pranesh Pillai and two alleged Pakistani nationals Amjad Ali Rana and Zeeshan Johar were killed in an encounter on June 15, 2004 on a stretch of road between Ahmedabad and Gandhinagar.
Gujarat Police had claimed that they were part of a conspiracy hatched by Pakistan-based Lashkar-e-Taiba to assassinate Chief Minister Narendra Modi.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- BSF cancels beating the retreat ceremony at Wagah post surgical strikes
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’