Ishrat case: Guj govt issues notification for new SIT
Ahmedabad: The Gujarat government on Monday informed the high court that they have issued a notification for formation of new Special Investigation Team (SIT) to probe
the encounter case of Ishrat Jahan and three others.
Division bench of Justice AM Kapadia and Justice BN Mehta, after the submission of government pleader, disposed of the contempt of court petition filed by one Gopinath Pillai.
Gopinath Pillai, father of Javed Ghulam Sheikh alias Pranesh Pillai, who had died in the encounter, had filed a contempt petition against the state government for not
complying with the high court`s earlier order of September 23 to issue notification of formation of SIT within two weeks.
During the hearing of the case, the state government through its pleader said that it had issued notification for the formation of new SIT, which had been notified in the
gazette on November 19.
During the last hearing of the contempt petition, the state government had assured the court that it will issue the notification soon. Government pleader had also said that the
delay had been caused as the state government had approached the Supreme Court against the high court order.
However, the apex court had rejected the Gujarat government petition challenging the high court`s order of forming a new SIT on November 12.
Members of the new SIT include Karnail Singh, a 1984 batch Delhi cadre IPS officer whose name was suggested by Union Home Ministry; Mohan Jha, a 1985 batch Gujarat cadre officer named by the state government; and Satish Verma of 1986 batch suggested by the petitioner.
Mumbai-based Ishrat Jahan (19) was killed in an encounter along with Javed Ghulam Sheikh alias Pranesh Kumar Pillai, Amjad Ali alias Rajkumar Akbar Ali Rana and Jisan
Johar Abdul Gani by state crime branch officials near Ahmedabad on June 15, 2004.
Following the encounter, the Gujarat Police had claimed that Ishrat and three other slain youths were Lashkar-e-Toiba operatives on a mission to kill Chief Minister Narendra Modi.
It had also claimed that the encounter was carried out following specific inputs from the central intelligence agencies that LeT was planning to carry out attacks in various
parts of the country.
The SIT will begin the investigation afresh in the encounter case.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shocking: New ISIS video shows English-speaking boy beheading man
- Watch: Hafiz Saeed warns India of more terror attacks
- DNA: Army declares all soldiers in Siachen avalanche dead
- DNA: Indian Navy set to conduct International Fleet Review 2016
- Modi should not think of sending forces to fight ISIS: AIMIM chief Owaisi
- Ahead of 'Kashmir Solidarity Day', Hafiz Saeed's JuD releases controversial video featuring Pakistani Army chief
- `Jawaharlal Nehru awarded the man who stole Subhas Chandra Bose's INA treasure`
- Ten Army soldiers missing in Siachen avalanche presumed dead; PM Modi 'salutes' martyrs
- VIDEO: Ambidextrous Sri Lankan Kamindu Mendis bowling with both hands
- ‘Ghayal Once Again’ tweet review