Ishrat case: Guj govt issues notification for new SIT
Ahmedabad: The Gujarat government on Monday informed the high court that they have issued a notification for formation of new Special Investigation Team (SIT) to probe
the encounter case of Ishrat Jahan and three others.
Division bench of Justice AM Kapadia and Justice BN Mehta, after the submission of government pleader, disposed of the contempt of court petition filed by one Gopinath Pillai.
Gopinath Pillai, father of Javed Ghulam Sheikh alias Pranesh Pillai, who had died in the encounter, had filed a contempt petition against the state government for not
complying with the high court`s earlier order of September 23 to issue notification of formation of SIT within two weeks.
During the hearing of the case, the state government through its pleader said that it had issued notification for the formation of new SIT, which had been notified in the
gazette on November 19.
During the last hearing of the contempt petition, the state government had assured the court that it will issue the notification soon. Government pleader had also said that the
delay had been caused as the state government had approached the Supreme Court against the high court order.
However, the apex court had rejected the Gujarat government petition challenging the high court`s order of forming a new SIT on November 12.
Members of the new SIT include Karnail Singh, a 1984 batch Delhi cadre IPS officer whose name was suggested by Union Home Ministry; Mohan Jha, a 1985 batch Gujarat cadre officer named by the state government; and Satish Verma of 1986 batch suggested by the petitioner.
Mumbai-based Ishrat Jahan (19) was killed in an encounter along with Javed Ghulam Sheikh alias Pranesh Kumar Pillai, Amjad Ali alias Rajkumar Akbar Ali Rana and Jisan
Johar Abdul Gani by state crime branch officials near Ahmedabad on June 15, 2004.
Following the encounter, the Gujarat Police had claimed that Ishrat and three other slain youths were Lashkar-e-Toiba operatives on a mission to kill Chief Minister Narendra Modi.
It had also claimed that the encounter was carried out following specific inputs from the central intelligence agencies that LeT was planning to carry out attacks in various
parts of the country.
The SIT will begin the investigation afresh in the encounter case.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- UP elections: Rajnath Singh's Son, Rita Bahuguna Joshi in BJP second list of candidates
- Is Pakistan behind increasing train accidents in India?
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Flying Jadeja: MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli floored by Ravindra Jadeja's brilliant fielding effort – WATCH