Ishrat case: Gujarat court allows Pandey to inspect records
Ahmedabad: The special CBI court here on Thursday allowed suspended Additional Director General of Police P P Pandey to inspect the records of the court in the 2004 Ishrat Jahan encounter killing case.
Pandey, who was sent to Sabarmati central jail yesterday after the court rejected the application of CBI seeking his further remand, today filed an application before Additional Chief Judicial Magistrate H S Khutwad, seeking inspection of papers filed by the agency and other related documents.
"Pandey suspects that CBI has sought remand of other accused, who were arrested prior to him, on the same grounds as in his case," said his lawyer, advocate Ajay Choksi.
"In case CBI seeks Pandey`s further remand by challenging ACJM`s order before the sessions court, we can make a strong defence and hence we had filed this application," he added.
The court, brushing aside objections by the CBI lawyer, allowed Choksi to inspect records for two hours today. "Now, we will be filing another application for the certified copies of the documents we inspected," the lawyer said.
Pandey was Joint Commissioner of Police (Crime) in Ahmedabad when Mumbai-based Ishrat, Javed Shaikh alias Pranesh Pillai, Amjadali Rana and Zeeshan Johar were gunned down allegedly by Crime Branch sleuths on June 15, 2004 on the outskirts of the city, claiming they were terrorists.
CBI, in its chargesheet, has termed the encounter as fake.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Soldier buried under Siachen avalanche snow rescued after six days
- Panel discussion on demand for expulsion of Wahabi Syllabus from Universities- Part IV
- DNA: Analysis on India's naval prowess at International Fleet Review
- Panel discussion on demand for expulsion of Wahabi Syllabus from Universities
- Panel discussion on demand for expulsion of Wahabi Syllabus from Universities- Part II
- 12 men rape British teen girl for over 13 months; slapped with 140 years in jail
- 'Achhe din': Residents of PM Modi's adopted village to get free electricity, work in full swing
- Siachen survivor Lance Naik Hanumanthappa brought to Delhi, Army chief Dabir Singh visits RR hospital
- Deepika Padukone, Vin Diesel in first ‘xXx: The Return of Xander Cage’ video – Watch
- How Lance Naik Hanumanthappa survived 6 days below 25 feet of snow in Siachen