Ishrat case: Gujarat court reserves order on cop`s arrest warrant
Ahmedabad: A special CBI court here today reserved its order on a revision application seeking the issuance of arrest warrant against IPS officer P P Pande, who is an accused in the 2004 alleged fake encounter case of Ishrat Jahan and three others.
Special CBI Judge Gita Gopi today concluded the hearing and said that she would pronounce the order on May 2.
CBI DySP and investigating officer of the encounter case G Kalaimani had submitted a revision application challenging the order, dated April 25, of Additional Chief Judicial Magistrate (ACJM) of the CBI court which rejected CBI demand for the issuance of arrest warrant against Additional DGP (Crime) PP Pande.
Pande, a 1980 batch IPS officer of Gujarat cadre, was Joint Police Commissioner in Ahmedabad in 2004 when on June 15 that year Ishrat Jahan along with Javed Shaikh alias Pranesh Pillai, Amjadali Akbarali Rana and Zeeshan Johar were killed in an encounter.
CBI, in its revision application praying for issuance of arrest warrant for Pande under section 73 of the CrPC, has claimed that the officer has been evading CBI and it has become necessary for the agency to seek court`s help.
"We issued two summons, on April 22 and 24 respectively, but he had not responded to it.
When we went to his residence at Ahmedabad, his son refused to give us information about Pande`s whereabouts and his official mobile phone is also not reachable," said CBI counsel L D Tiwari.
"Under these circumstances, where we could not succeed in getting the custody of Pande for his interrogation, issuance of arrest warrant by the court has become necessary," he said while praying for court`s directions to ACJM to issue the arrest warrant.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day