Ishrat case: HC for probe on hostile witnesses
Ahmedabad: The Gujarat High Court on Friday asked the special investigation team (SIT) to try and complete probe into 2004 police encounter of Ishrat Jahan and three others, in one month, and also directed its chairman to probe the retractions of statements by some key witnesses.
The directions were issued by division bench of Justice Jayant Patel and Justice Abhilasha Kumari which reviewed progress of the probe by the SIT constituted in
September last year.
"Efforts shall be made by the SIT to try and complete the investigation and submit progress report along with conclusion (if encounter was fake or genuine) by September 8," the court said, while fixing next hearing on September 9.
It also directed the SIT chairman RR Verma, who had taken charge last week, to investigate the retraction of statements by some of the key witnesses in the case.
"It will be for the SIT chairman to find out if any person has played role in manoeuvring into getting the statements being retracted and thereby frustrating valuable piece of evidence," the court said in its order.
It further said that Verma would have liberty to arrest any person who could have influenced the witness into retracting his statement.
Verma could also conduct his custodial interrogation of that person, it said, adding that no other member of the SIT should be involved in the probe related to retraction of statements.
The court also found considerable `substance` in the allegation made by SIT member Satish Verma in his affidavit filed in January against fellow member Mohan Jha and asked SIT chief to investigate the matter.
Satish Verma had alleged that Jha was connected with retraction of statement by some of the witnesses.
Court further said that if there was any material against any SIT member in the retraction of statements, Verma shall not take direct action but submit report regarding it to court in a sealed cover.
It took serious note of the retraction of statement by witnesses Moti Desai and Shiv Singh.
The amicus curiae in the case Yogesh Lakhani also today expressed concern over the `slow pace` of investigation and alleged that external forces were working towards derailing the probe in the case, and requested the court to give directions to the SIT to expedite the investigation.
Senior counsel Mukul Sinha representing one of the petitioners Gopinath Pillai, father of slain Javed Sheikh alias Pranesh Pillai, also expressed concern over the delay and alleged that there was as systematic effort to derail the probe by external as well as internal forces.
Explaining, the internal forces, he mentioned the allegation by SIT member Satish Verma against Jha in his January affidavit in the court which he said raises question
on the faith and credibility of the SIT probe.
SIT chief RR Verma also informed the court that the reports from the Central Forensic Science Laboratory and the AIIMS would take not less than three months to be completed.
The probe in the case is being supervised directly by the Gujarat High Court which had constituted the SIT last year to investigate genuineness of the encounter after petitions filed by Ishrat`s mother Shamima Kausar and Gopinath Pillai, father of another victim of the encounter Javed Sheikh alias Pranesh Pillai.
The Court also termed the failure of the Ministry of Home affairs to file affidavit as directed by it during the last hearing as unfortunate and directed the Union government counsel Pankaj Champaneri to make sure that affidavits were
filed before the next hearing on September 9.
The secretary and joint secretary in Union ministry of home affairs were likely to submit an affidavit in the court explaining the episode where the name of IPS officer JV Ramudu was suggested for the post of SIT chairman by the
ministry without taking his consent.
Ramudu had declined to take up the job due to health reasons following which RR Verma was appointed as SIT chairman.
Ramudu`s statement that his consent was not taken by the union government, ran contrary to the statement made in the court by the Union government.
The Court had come down heavily on the union government saying that, Government of India should have been aware of Ramudu`s ill health before suggesting his name.
It had further asked the Union government not to make proceedings in this case as mockery and added that the approach of the union government was very casual in the case.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!