Ishrat case: HC grants SIT plea for copy of Tamang report
Ahmedabad: The Gujarat High Court on Thursday
approved the plea of special investigating team (SIT), probing
the 2004 police encounter of Ishrat Jahan, seeking copy of
Judicial Magistrate S P Tamang`s report which had concluded
that the encounter was fake.
The division bench of Justices Jayant Patel and
Abhilasha Kumari today granted the plea of ACP V R Toliya, who
had sought certified copy of Tamang`s report, which is in
High Court`s possession.
The SIT had sought the copy saying it would help the
probe. Magistrate Tamang, in his 2009 report, had said that
four persons -- Ishrat, Javed Ghulam Sheikh alias Pranesh
Kumar Pillai, Amjad Ali alias Rajkumar Akbar Ali Rana and
Jisan Johar Abdul Gani -- who were killed in a police
encounter on the outskirts of the city, were not linked with
Pakistan-based terrorist outfit Lashker-e-Taiba, as claimed by
city crime branch officials.
Police had claimed the deceased were LET terrorists who
had come to kill Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi.
Magistrate Tamang had concluded that police officers
and their subordinates had shot the four persons in "cold
Magistrate Tamang had further said in the report that
the encounter was "planned" and executed "mercilessly" by
shooting the victims from "close range".
The report said that police officers including the
then city police commissioner K R Kaushik, then JCP (crime
branch) P P Pande, suspended DIG D G Vanzara, then ACP G L
Singhal, and ACP N K Amin had planned this encounter for their
The motive of the senior police officers was to get
promotions, it said.
The police officials illegally detained the four persons
from Mumbai and brought them to Ahmedabad, the report said.
Mumbai-based Ishrat Jahan (19) was killed in an encounter
along with three other persons in June, 2004, following which
a judicial probe was initiated.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Islamic State attracts young recruits with free honeymoon, stipend for family
- MSBSHSE Class XII HSC results 2015: Maharashtra Class 12th Board results declared on mahresult.nic.in
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015