Ishrat case: HC grants SIT plea for copy of Tamang report
Ahmedabad: The Gujarat High Court on Thursday
approved the plea of special investigating team (SIT), probing
the 2004 police encounter of Ishrat Jahan, seeking copy of
Judicial Magistrate S P Tamang`s report which had concluded
that the encounter was fake.
The division bench of Justices Jayant Patel and
Abhilasha Kumari today granted the plea of ACP V R Toliya, who
had sought certified copy of Tamang`s report, which is in
High Court`s possession.
The SIT had sought the copy saying it would help the
probe. Magistrate Tamang, in his 2009 report, had said that
four persons -- Ishrat, Javed Ghulam Sheikh alias Pranesh
Kumar Pillai, Amjad Ali alias Rajkumar Akbar Ali Rana and
Jisan Johar Abdul Gani -- who were killed in a police
encounter on the outskirts of the city, were not linked with
Pakistan-based terrorist outfit Lashker-e-Taiba, as claimed by
city crime branch officials.
Police had claimed the deceased were LET terrorists who
had come to kill Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi.
Magistrate Tamang had concluded that police officers
and their subordinates had shot the four persons in "cold
Magistrate Tamang had further said in the report that
the encounter was "planned" and executed "mercilessly" by
shooting the victims from "close range".
The report said that police officers including the
then city police commissioner K R Kaushik, then JCP (crime
branch) P P Pande, suspended DIG D G Vanzara, then ACP G L
Singhal, and ACP N K Amin had planned this encounter for their
The motive of the senior police officers was to get
promotions, it said.
The police officials illegally detained the four persons
from Mumbai and brought them to Ahmedabad, the report said.
Mumbai-based Ishrat Jahan (19) was killed in an encounter
along with three other persons in June, 2004, following which
a judicial probe was initiated.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch: Reports on final deal of M-777 tanks between India and America
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends
- Indian Army makes major changes in recruitment process – Click here to get updated information