Ishrat case: Policemen`s statements may nail senior cops
Ahmedabad: The statements given before a magistrate by nine Gujarat policemen, who had played minor roles in the killing of Mumbai girl Ishrat Jahan and three others in an alleged fake encounter, may spell trouble for seven senior officers who have been chargesheeted in the 2004 case.
These policemen, some of them junior officers, have recorded their statements before a Judicial Magistrate under Section 164 of Code of Criminal Procedure (CrPC).
Statements under this section are admissible in court as evidence.
These statements are part of the charge sheet filed by CBI before a special court here on July 3 in which the agency
termed the encounter as "fake".
Retired Dy SP D H Goswami, DySP Ramesh Patel, CID Inspector Kalu Desai, Inspector Bharatsingh Chavda, Special Operations Group (SOG) Inspector Chetan Goswami, Head Constables Mohan Menat, Moti Desai, retired Assistant Sub- Inspector Nijamuddin Saiyed and Inspector Ibrahim Chauhan have stated before the magistrate that they carried out the orders given to them by senior police officers.
These policemen helped senior IPS officers Girish Singhal, N K Amin, DG Vanzara and PP Pandey, all named as accused in the charge sheet, during the encounter.
Besides Ishrat and her friend Javed Shaikh alias Pranesh Pillai, two Pakistani nationals Zeeshan Johar and Amjad Ali Rana, were killed in the incident by Ahmedabad Crime Branch near here on June 15, 2004.
Chavda and Desai were deployed at Arhan Farm, where Rana was kept captive, according to their statements. They have given statements about their meetings and conversations with Vanzara, Amin and others prior to the encounter.
All nine policemen had earlier given their statements to the Crime Branch and the Gujarat High Court-appointed Special Investigation Team (SIT) and later to CBI.
Six of them told the magistrate that they were under pressure when they gave their earlier statements but what they have told CBI was nothing but truth about the circumstances leading to the "fake" shootout.
Gujarat Police had then claimed the four were on a mission to assassinate Chief Minister Narendra Modi.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- SC asks Haryana Police to finish AIPMT paper leak probe
- British tourist masturbated at in Mumbai; Indian men apologise