Ishrat case: Policemen`s statements may nail senior cops
Ahmedabad: The statements given before a magistrate by nine Gujarat policemen, who had played minor roles in the killing of Mumbai girl Ishrat Jahan and three others in an alleged fake encounter, may spell trouble for seven senior officers who have been chargesheeted in the 2004 case.
These policemen, some of them junior officers, have recorded their statements before a Judicial Magistrate under Section 164 of Code of Criminal Procedure (CrPC).
Statements under this section are admissible in court as evidence.
These statements are part of the charge sheet filed by CBI before a special court here on July 3 in which the agency
termed the encounter as "fake".
Retired Dy SP D H Goswami, DySP Ramesh Patel, CID Inspector Kalu Desai, Inspector Bharatsingh Chavda, Special Operations Group (SOG) Inspector Chetan Goswami, Head Constables Mohan Menat, Moti Desai, retired Assistant Sub- Inspector Nijamuddin Saiyed and Inspector Ibrahim Chauhan have stated before the magistrate that they carried out the orders given to them by senior police officers.
These policemen helped senior IPS officers Girish Singhal, N K Amin, DG Vanzara and PP Pandey, all named as accused in the charge sheet, during the encounter.
Besides Ishrat and her friend Javed Shaikh alias Pranesh Pillai, two Pakistani nationals Zeeshan Johar and Amjad Ali Rana, were killed in the incident by Ahmedabad Crime Branch near here on June 15, 2004.
Chavda and Desai were deployed at Arhan Farm, where Rana was kept captive, according to their statements. They have given statements about their meetings and conversations with Vanzara, Amin and others prior to the encounter.
All nine policemen had earlier given their statements to the Crime Branch and the Gujarat High Court-appointed Special Investigation Team (SIT) and later to CBI.
Six of them told the magistrate that they were under pressure when they gave their earlier statements but what they have told CBI was nothing but truth about the circumstances leading to the "fake" shootout.
Gujarat Police had then claimed the four were on a mission to assassinate Chief Minister Narendra Modi.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'