Ishrat case: SIT gets court nod to quiz two Gujarat cops
Ahmedabad: A court here on Wednesday allowed the
Special Investigation Team (SIT) probing the death of Mumbai
college girl Ishrat Jahan in an encounter with the Gujarat
police to question suspended state police officers D G Vanzara
and N K Amin.
The SIT had filed an application in the CBI court of
Chief Judicial Magistrate A Y Dave seeking permission to allow
head of the SIT Karnail Singh and two other members Mohan Jha
and Satish Verma to interrogate Vanzara and Amin, accused in
the 2005 Sohrabuddin Sheikh fake encounter case, who are
lodged in separate jails under judicial custody.
Accepting the SIT`s plea, the court said it was necessary
in the interest of justice that the probe team questioned the
The time and date of questioning has not been mentioned
in the order.
Vanzara is lodged in the Sabarmati Central Jail here
while Amin was sent to Vadodara Jail by the Gujarat High Court
after he had raised concern over his security in wake of his
proposal to turn an approver in the fake encounter case.
Vanzara, an IPS officer, is also an accused in the 2006
encounter of Tulsiram Prajapati, a close aide of Sohrabuddin.
Prajapati was a key witness to the killing of Sohrabuddin and
his wife Kausarbi.
Ishrat was killed in an encounter, along with Javed
Ghulam Sheikh alias Pranesh Kumar Pillai, Amjad Ali alias
Rajkumar Akbar Ali Rana and Jisan Johar Abdul Gani, carried
out by Ahmedabad Crime Branch officials near here on June 15,
2004. Vanzara and Amin were part of the Crime Branch team
which had carried out the encounter.
The Gujarat police, at the time of the encounter, had
claimed that Ishrat (19) and the three others were operatives
of Pakistan-based terror outfit LeT and were on a mission to
kill Chief Minister Narendra Modi.
According to the police, the encounter was carried out
based on specific inputs from the Central intelligence
agencies that Lashkar-e-Taiba was planning to carry out
attacks on various parts of India, including Gujarat.
However, an inquiry report by Judicial Magistrate S P
Tamang had last year said the encounter was "fake" and
"carried out in cold blood".
The SIT, whose members are IPS officers, has been
constituted by the Gujarat High Court.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- Missing girl from Ghaziabad, Dipti Sarna returns; reunited with family
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- Kumar Vishwas' birthday bash: Ajit Doval, BJP and RSS leaders attend; Arvind Kejriwal missing
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna reaches home, police and family remain tight-lipped over her recovery
- Was abducted, blindfolded for four hours; Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna narrates her ordeal
- Fitoor movie review: Tabu overpowers, Katrina Kaif, Aditya Roy Kapur leave a lasting impact!