Ishrat case: SIT submits progress report to Guj HC
Ahmedabad: The Special Investigation Team,
probing the 2004 encounter killing of Mumbai teenager Ishrat Jahan and three others, has submitted its progress report to the Gujarat High Court, officials said Thursday.
The report was submitted following the August 5 direction
given by a division bench of justices Jayant Patel and
The next hearing is slated for tomorrow when the court
would review progress in the seven-year-old case. During the
last hearing, the court had said, "Efforts shall be made by
the SIT to try and complete the investigation, and submit
progress report along with conclusion (if encounter was fake
or genuine) by September 8."
"We have submitted a progress report to the High Court on the Ishrat encounter case. But we are yet to finish investigations," an official associated with the matter said.
The court, during the last hearing, had also directed
SIT chief R R Verma to investigate the retraction of
statements by some of the key witnesses.
Ishrat, a 19-year-old college girl, along with Javed
Sheikh alias Pranesh Pillai, Amjad Ali Rana and Zeeshan Johar,
were allegedly killed in a police encounter on June 15, 2004.
The city Crime Branch claimed the deceased were members of LeT
and were on a mission to kill Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra
The probe is being supervised by the high court, which
had constituted the SIT last year to investigate genuineness
of the encounter after petitions were filed by Ishrat`s mother
and Gopinath Pillai, father of Pranesh.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Know how much sex is enough for happiness
- Swaragini: Ragini gets caught in her own trap; Swara slaps her
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed