Ishrat case: Special court allows CBI to question PP Pandey
Ahmedabad: A special court here on Friday accepted CBI`s application to interrogate suspended IPS officer PP Pandey in judicial custody in connection with the encounter of Ishrat Jahan and three others.
CBI had moved an application before Special CBI judge Gita Gopi, seeking interrogation of PP Pandey in judicial custody, which was accepted.
Pandey`s lawyers had demanded that he be interrogated in his presence, which was also accepted by the court.
Pandey`s interrogation has been granted by the Special CBI judge, within visible distance of his advocate.
Pandey, who was absconding for a long period, had surrendered before a CBI court in July after the apex court declined anticipatory bail to him.
CBI has named Pandey, suspended IPS officers GL Singhal, DG Vanzara, Tarun Barot and NK Amin, retired DSP JG Parmar and commando Anaju Chaudhary in the charge sheet, accusing them of murder and criminal conspiracy with regard to the encounter killing of 19-year-old Ishrat, Javed Sheikh alias Pranesh Pillai, Zeeshan Johar and Amjad Ali Rana on the outskirts of Ahmedabad in June 2004.
Gujarat police had at that time said that the four were on a mission to kill Gujarat chief minister Narendra Modi.
CBI`s probe in the case was still on, it had said when filing the charge sheet in July 2013.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- LIVE: Jallikattu Bill passed unanimously in state Assembly; violence rocks Tamil Nadu
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog