Ishrat case: Vanzara sent to judicial custody till June 24
Ahmedabad: Special CBI court on Monday sent suspended IPS officer D G Vanzara to judicial custody till June 24 in the 2004 fake encounter case of Ishrat Jahan and three others.
CBI today produced Vanzara before the special CBI court of Additional Chief Judicial Magistrate (ACJM) S H Khutwad, who had remanded him to the police custody till today.
CBI, not seeking his further remand, urged the court to send him to judicial custody and also made a request to transfer Vanzara to Mumbai court for the trial of Sohrabuddin encounter case.
"We have concluded our investigation as far as this accused is concerned and now as he is required to be present before the special CBI court for the trial of Sohrabuddin Shaikh encounter case, this court may grant his transfer under the provisions of section 267 of CrPC," CBI said in its application.
This was opposed by Vanzara`s lawyer V D Gajjar, who claimed that, "as per June 3 order of special CBI court in Mumbai, Vanzara has to remain in Gujarat till the investigation of the case is concluded."
ACJM, after going through the copy of Mumbai court order, refused to grant CBI request for the transfer of the accused and ordered him to be sent in judicial custody.
Mumbra (near Mumbai) girl Ishrat Jahan alongwith Javed Shaikh alias Pranesh Pillai, two alleged Pakistani nationals Zeeshan Johar and Amjad Ali Rana were killed in an encounter on June 15, 2004 on the outskirts of the city.
Vanzara was heading the team of Crime Branch, Ahmedabad, which was involved in the encounter of the four.
Gujarat police had claimed that they were part of the conspiracy to assassinate Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi.
After Jahan`s mother complained about the alleged fake encounter, Gujarat High Court constituted a Special Investigation Team (SIT) which concluded that the encounter was fake.
Following the report, the High Court handed over the case to the CBI on December 1, 2011 and is monitoring the probe.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India