Ishrat encounter case: CBI files status report in Gujarat HC
Ahmedabad: CBI on Thursday filed a status report in the Gujarat High Court on its probe in the Ishrat Jehan fake encounter killing case of 2004.
"Today, the agency submitted the status report in a sealed cover as per the court`s instructions and hearing will be taken up tomorrow," said CBI lawyer Yogesh Rawani.
CBI, which was directed by the High Court last year to probe the case, had earlier filed an application seeking a direction to the state government to extend the services of IPS officer Satish Verma for six months.
On December 10, a division bench of Justices Jayant Patel and Abhilasha Kumari asked the agency to first show what progress had been made in the probe.
The bench expressed dissatisfaction about the one-year-long probe as CBI has yet to make a single arrest. While transferring the probe from Special Investigation Team (SIT) to CBI, the Court had directed the state government to allow Verma, who was a part of the SIT, to assist CBI.
Mumbai-based Ishrat (19), Pranesh Pillai alias Javed Sheikh, Zeeshan Johar and Amjad Ali Rana were shot dead by Ahmedabad crime branch officers between Ahmedabad and Gandhinagar on June 15, 2004. But the SIT, formed by the HC, concluded that the encounter was fake.
Gujarat police had claimed Ishrat and others were Laskar-e-Taiba terror group operatives and had plans to kill Chief Minister Narendra Modi.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ceasefire violations by Pak: Should India carry out surgical strike part-II?
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, asked to leave India
- Panel discussion on the need of Pakistan's ambassador in India
- Meet Lynlee Hope - Texas baby who was 'born' twice!
- DNA: Zee Media's campaign to celebrate Diwali with soldier's family
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Diwali 2016: Dhanteras Puja timings, Tithi and Vidhi
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- UPA govt thought of attacking Lashkar HQ, training camps after 26/11 strike, claims ex-NSA Shivshankar Menon