Ishrat encounter case: SIT questions two top cops
Ahmedabad: The special investigation team
constituted by the Gujarat High Court to probe the alleged
fake encounter of Ishrat Jahan and three others interrogated
two senior police officers for over four hours on Wednesday.
SP G L Singhal and DSP Tarun Barot appeared before the
SIT, headed by ADGP Satyapal Singh of Maharashtra Police.
Singh had recently taken charge as chairman of SIT.
Both the officers were interrogated for over four hours
by Singh and SIT members Mohan Jha and Satish Verma at the
agency`s office in Shahibaug area of the city.
Singhal and Barot were part of the city crime branch
which was involved in the encounter of Ishrat and three others
Javed Sheikh alias Pranesh Pillai, Amjad Ali Rana and Zeeshan
Johar killed on the outskirts of Ahmedabad on June 15, 2004.
Crime branch officers had said they were on a mission to
kill Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi and the encounter
was carried out after receiving intelligence inputs from the
An inquiry report by judicial magistrate S P Tamang in
September 2009 had said the encounter was fake and carried out
in cold blood.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM