Ishrat encounter case: SIT questions two top cops
Ahmedabad: The special investigation team
constituted by the Gujarat High Court to probe the alleged
fake encounter of Ishrat Jahan and three others interrogated
two senior police officers for over four hours on Wednesday.
SP G L Singhal and DSP Tarun Barot appeared before the
SIT, headed by ADGP Satyapal Singh of Maharashtra Police.
Singh had recently taken charge as chairman of SIT.
Both the officers were interrogated for over four hours
by Singh and SIT members Mohan Jha and Satish Verma at the
agency`s office in Shahibaug area of the city.
Singhal and Barot were part of the city crime branch
which was involved in the encounter of Ishrat and three others
Javed Sheikh alias Pranesh Pillai, Amjad Ali Rana and Zeeshan
Johar killed on the outskirts of Ahmedabad on June 15, 2004.
Crime branch officers had said they were on a mission to
kill Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi and the encounter
was carried out after receiving intelligence inputs from the
An inquiry report by judicial magistrate S P Tamang in
September 2009 had said the encounter was fake and carried out
in cold blood.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: Amma critical, nation's political fraternity expresses concern - Who said what
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender