Ishrat encounter: New affidavit aims at damning Modi, says BJP
New Delhi: BJP on Wednesday described as an attempt
to "damn" Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi the Centre`s
move to replace the affidavit in the Ishrat Jahan encounter
case even if it meant staking the reputation of Intelligence
Bureau in the process.
"The Ishrat Jahan case affidavit has been changed by the
central government. In the new affidavit, which runs into
two-three pages, new things have been said...In short, it
means that in order to damn Narendra Modi, (the government
would) let the Intelligence Bureau be damned," BJP
spokesperson Ravi Shankar Prasad said.
The IB had reportedly provided inputs about Jahan, her
friend Javed Shaikh and two Pakistan-trained Lashkar-e-Toiba
men, to Gujarat police. Based on this input, the four were
shot dead in an encounter.
"Change in stand (new affidavit) is a textbook example of
how vote-bank rules over national security," Prasad said,
hinting at minority appeasement being the reason.
The Union Home Ministry had filed an affidavit in which
it had said the four were involved in terrorist activities and
had been directed by their LeT bosses to target high-profile
politicians in Gujarat.
"In Para 20 of the earlier affidavit, the Home Ministry
had stated that LeT operatives arrested in Kashmir had
confessed that Amjad alias Salim (one of Ishrat`s accomplices
killed in the encounter) was a LeT member," Prasad said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- Shocking! 7 veg food items that may actually be non veg
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Say hello to 'nastiest' star ever
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy