Ishrat encounter: New affidavit aims at damning Modi, says BJP
New Delhi: BJP on Wednesday described as an attempt
to "damn" Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi the Centre`s
move to replace the affidavit in the Ishrat Jahan encounter
case even if it meant staking the reputation of Intelligence
Bureau in the process.
"The Ishrat Jahan case affidavit has been changed by the
central government. In the new affidavit, which runs into
two-three pages, new things have been said...In short, it
means that in order to damn Narendra Modi, (the government
would) let the Intelligence Bureau be damned," BJP
spokesperson Ravi Shankar Prasad said.
The IB had reportedly provided inputs about Jahan, her
friend Javed Shaikh and two Pakistan-trained Lashkar-e-Toiba
men, to Gujarat police. Based on this input, the four were
shot dead in an encounter.
"Change in stand (new affidavit) is a textbook example of
how vote-bank rules over national security," Prasad said,
hinting at minority appeasement being the reason.
The Union Home Ministry had filed an affidavit in which
it had said the four were involved in terrorist activities and
had been directed by their LeT bosses to target high-profile
politicians in Gujarat.
"In Para 20 of the earlier affidavit, the Home Ministry
had stated that LeT operatives arrested in Kashmir had
confessed that Amjad alias Salim (one of Ishrat`s accomplices
killed in the encounter) was a LeT member," Prasad said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- REALITY CHECK of WhatsApp message: How common man can sign petition to declare Pakistan a terror state