Ishrat Jahan case: Arrested Gujarat IPS officer resigns
New Delhi: The Gujarat police officer, who was arrested by the CBI for his involvement in the alleged staged Ishrat Jahan shoot-out case of 2004, has resigned from the police force, a news channel reported on Saturday.
On Thursday, the CBI had arrested GL Singhal, an Indian Police Service officer, during a raid at his house and offices in Ahmedabad. The officer was suspended after being arrested. Singhal had been posted as superintendent of police at state crime records bureau. As then assistant commissioner of police, crime branch team, Singhal had led the team that gunned down the 19-year-old student and three others in Ahmedabad.
The CBI, in its first information report (FIR), argued that Singhal played an active role in the shoot-out which was later found to be fake by the special investigation team (SIT) constituted by the Gujarat High Court.
Ishrat along with three others - Javed Sheikh, Zeeshan Johar and Amjad Ali Rana - was killed by a team of Ahmedabad city crime branch officers on a stretch of empty road between Ahmedabad and Gandhinagar on June 15, 2004. They planned to assassinate Chief Minister Narendra Modi, police then claimed.
After her mother complained about the alleged fake shoot-out, the state high court constituted an SIT which concluded that gunfight was faked. Following the SIT report, the court handed over the matter to the CBI.
(With IANS inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- Tamil Nadu SSLC Results 2015 on tnresults.nic.in
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) TNBSE Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 declared