Ishrat Jahan case: CBI books 20 Gujarat policemen
New Delhi: The Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) on Saturday registered cases against 20 Gujarat policemen in connection with the fake encounter killing of Ishrat Jahan in 2004.
The fresh FIR was registered by the probe agency after the Special Investigation Team (SIT), probing the case, gave its complaint to the CBI on December 15.
All the 20 policemen have been charged with murder and destruction of evidence, a senior CBI officer said.
A judicial inquiry report by metropolitan magistrate SP Tamang had alleged that 21 police officers, including then crime branch chief JCP PP Pande, suspended DIG DG Vanzara, the then ACP GL Singhal and ACP NK Amin were involved in the conspiracy regarding the encounter.
Vanzara and Amin are also accused in the fake encounter killing of alleged gangster Sohrabuddin Sheikh and in the murder of his wife Kausar Bi.
The Gujarat High Court had on December 1 directed the CBI to take over further probe in the case in which 19-year-old college girl Ishrat, Javed Sheikh alias Pranesh Pillai, Amjad Ali Rana and Zeeshan Johar were killed in Ahmedabad.
The directives came as a Special Investigative Team constituted by the High Court had concluded last month that the encounter was staged by police.
A judicial inquiry report by metropolitan magistrate SP Tamang report had alleged that 21 police officers, including then crime branch chief JCP PP Pande, suspended DIG DG Vanzara, then ACP GL Singhal and ACP NK Amin were involved in the conspiracy regarding the fake encounter.
Vanzara and Amin are also accused in the fake encounter of Sohrabuddin Sheikh and in the murder of his wife Kausar Bi, and are currently behind bars.
The High Court also ordered CBI to probe the claims made by the state police after the encounter that the four persons were LeT terrorists on a mission to kill Chief Minister Narendra Modi.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read