Ishrat Jahan case: `CBI chargesheet will expose Narendra Modi, Amit Shah`
New Delhi/Ahmedabad: Samajwadi Party (SP) leader Kamal Farooqi on Wednesday said that the 2004 Ishrat Jahan case was without any doubt a fake encounter, and added that the CBI chargesheet would expose the role of Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi and his former home minister Amit Shah in the case.
"This is for certain that it was a fake encounter and there is no doubt that the girl was first arrested and then later killed under mysterious circumstances leading to dubious encounter," Farooqi said.
"It is also coming to light that top officials and allegations are being levelled against the then home minister (Amit Shah) and Chief Minister (Narendra Modi). We can merely say what action can be taken only after CBI files a chargesheet," he added.
Human rights activist and a petitioner in this case, Vrinda Grover, on her part said the investigation done so far by the various investigating agencies has declared the encounter as fake.
"Every time an independent impartial probe is done into this killing, whether it is the judicial inquiry report of SP Tamang the Metropolitan Magistrate of Ahmedabad, a judicial officer of Gujarat in 2009, which said that she (Ishrat Jahan) was an innocent girl, a student of first year from Mumbai or it is the SIT (Special Investigation Team) report and SIT which comprised of a selected Police officer of the Gujarat Government which unanimously declared the encounter to be fake and Ishrat to be innocent," said Grover.
Meanwhile, Mukul Sinha, the lawyer for the family of Javed Sheikh, one of the four killed in the encounter, said the CBI chargesheet might reveal the name of prominent politicians and police officers involved in the fake encounter.
"Today, according to what we have heard, a chargesheet is being filed but the investigation is not over. The investigation will continue under (section) 173(8) and after that not only prominent police officers but we believe that the names of several political persons whose names are involved in the encounter will also be revealed," he told the media in Ahmedabad.
The CBI will today file a chargesheet in the Ishrat Jahan case and is likely to name only those policemen who were at the scene of crime besides seeking more time in a bid to probe the conspiracy angle behind the incident.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Terrorist outfit IS releases hitlist; 4000 people including 285 Indians targeted
- Mumbai: Woman missing after falling in manhole
- Mann Ki Baat: PM recalls dark days of 1975 Emergency, says democracy is our strength
- Mann Ki Baat: Conserve every drop of water, says PM
- PM Modi launches 'Smart City Project' in Pune
- IIFA 2016: Dramatic entry! When Shahid Kapoor, Farhan Akhtar hit the green carpet on Spanish donkeys - Pic inside
- Seven killed as car rams into minibus in Kenya's Kwale
- Hope law will be passed for construction of Ram temple by PM Narendra Modi-led government: VHP leader Pravin Togadia
- Rock stars and celebrities react with dismay to Brexit
- WATCH: How AAP MLA Dinesh Mohaniya was arrested by Delhi Police amidst high drama during press conference