Ishrat Jahan case: CBI court issues NBW against IPS officer PP Pandey
Ahmedabad: A special CBI court here on Wednesday issued a non-bailable warrant against Additional Director General of Police PP Pandey, named as one of the accused in the CBI charge sheet in the 2004 Ishrat Jahan fake encounter case.
Additional Chief Judicial Magistrate HS Khutwad today rejected Pandey`s application seeking exemption from appearance in court. As Pandey failed to present himself today, a non-bailable warrant was issued against him.
The court also rejected Pandey`s prayer that it should declare as illegal the CBI charge sheet against him as there had been no government sanction behind the same.
"As established through various Supreme Court rulings, a public servant cannot be given protection under Section 197 of the CrPC if he is facing charges of criminal offence," ruled the CBI court.
Meanwhile, the application by two co-accused, police officers GL Singhal and Tarun Barot, for copies of the statements of 21 witnesses was rejected with the court saying that CBI was not relying upon the same, which were recorded by other probe agencies (state police).
The court gave permission to CBI to interrogate one of the main accused, suspended IPS officer DG Vanzara, who is at Sabarmati Central Jail.
He was brought here on June 4 from Mumbai where he was jailed in Sohrabuddin Sheikh encounter case.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Team Yogi Adityanath: List of Yogi's ministers with their portfolios - Check who got what