Ishrat Jahan case: Gujarat IPS officer PP Pandey suspended
Ahmedabad: Gujarat government on Saturday suspended senior IPS officer PP Pandey, who was earlier today remanded in CBI custody in Ishrat Jahan encounter killing case, four months after he went underground.
"An IPS officer, who is in jail for more than 48 hours, is deemed to be suspended," a senior government official said. Pandey is currently an Additional Director General of Police.
He went underground in April this year after his name surfaced in the probe into the Ishrat case, while filing an appeal in the Supreme Court seeking protection from arrest.
However, the apex court asked him to appear before the special CBI court. After his anticipatory bail plea was rejected by the CBI court, the High Court, as well as the Supreme Court, he surrendered before the CBI court on August 13.
Today, the court remanded him in CBI custody for interrogation till August 21.
He was Joint Commissioner of Police (Crime) in Ahmedabad when Mumbai-based Ishrat Jahan and three others were gunned down by city crime branch sleuths on June 15, 2004.
Gujarat Police had then claimed that they were terrorists but CBI later concluded that the four were killed in a fake encounter.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- DNA: Inside story of Indian Army's surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read