Ishrat Jahan case: PP Pandey’s plea dismissed, declared absconder
Zee Media Bureau
Ahemdabad: The Gujarat High Court on Monday rejected former Gujarat IPS officer PP Pandey’s plea to quash the FIR registered against him in Ishrat Jahan fake encounter case.
The High Court, while rejecting Pandey’s plea, also declared him an absconder in the 2004 fake encounter case of Ishrat Jahan and three others.
Earlier this month, Additional Chief Judicial Magistrate of the special CBI court HS Khutwad had passed an order proclaiming Additional DGP (Crime) PP Pandey an absconder under section 82 of the Criminal Procedure Code (CrPC).
He was directed to appear before the court by July 31 to avoid further action.
Pruthvipal P Pandey, a 1982-batch IPS officer, has been made an accused in the fake encounter case for providing "so-called crucial intelligence inputs" to fellow policemen that Ishrat and three others were LeT operatives and were on a mission to assassinate Chief Minister Narendra Modi.
He was Joint Commissioner of Police of the city heading the Crime Branch when on June 15, 2004, Ishrat Jahan, Javed Shaikh alias Pranesh Pillai, Amjadali Akbarali Rana and Zeeshan Johar were killed in an encounter with the Gujarat police on the outskirts of Ahmedabad.
Earlier this month, CBI filed an application before the special court demanding that Pandey be declared an absconder and initiation of action against him under section 82 of the CrPC on the ground that he was evading arrest despite a warrant issued by the court on May 2.
Pandey is the second Gujarat IPS officer, after GL Singhal, who has been named as an accused in the case.
After the issuance of warrant for his arrest, Pandey had moved Supreme Court seeking direction to quash FIR against him in the case and give relief against his arrest.
However, the Supreme Court, on June 11, rejected his petition and asked him to seek relief from Gujarat High Court.
With agency inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- UP elections: Rajnath Singh's Son, Rita Bahuguna Joshi in BJP second list of candidates
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Flying Jadeja: MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli floored by Ravindra Jadeja's brilliant fielding effort – WATCH