Ishrat Jahan case: Satyapal Singh will head SIT
Ahmedabad: Maharashtra cadre IPS officer
Satyapal Singh on Saturday took charge of the special investigation
team (SIT) appointed by Gujarat High Court to probe the
killing of college student Ishrat Jahan and three others in an
encounter with police.
Singh, who had earlier in a letter to the Gujarat High
Court had expressed reluctance to accept the post, changed his
mind and formally took over the SIT post, officials sources
In a letter written to the Gujarat HC last week, Singh,
who was posted as ADGP (Law & Order), had said Maharashtra
government was reluctant to relieve him for heading the probe
into Ishrat`s killing.
After taking over the charge at the SIT office in
Shahibhaug area of the city, Singh told reporters that
"earlier the situation was different. Now, I have been
relieved and I have taken charge".
Abhilasha Kumari had appointed Singh as head of the special
investigation team (SIT) on May 12.
Singh was appointed after the then SIT chairman Karnal
Singh expressed his desire to withdraw from the probe
following his posting in Mizoram.
Ishrat, along with Javed Sheikh alias Pranesh Pillai,
Amjad Ali Rana and Zeeshan Johar, was killed in a police
encounter on June 15, 2004.
After the encounter, city crime branch had claimed
that the deceased were LeT terrorists who had come to kill
Gujarat chief minister Narendra Modi.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Discussion over if Pak is in fear of war after India's stringent initiative on Uri terror attack?
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3