Ishrat Jahan case: Satyapal Singh will head SIT
Ahmedabad: Maharashtra cadre IPS officer
Satyapal Singh on Saturday took charge of the special investigation
team (SIT) appointed by Gujarat High Court to probe the
killing of college student Ishrat Jahan and three others in an
encounter with police.
Singh, who had earlier in a letter to the Gujarat High
Court had expressed reluctance to accept the post, changed his
mind and formally took over the SIT post, officials sources
In a letter written to the Gujarat HC last week, Singh,
who was posted as ADGP (Law & Order), had said Maharashtra
government was reluctant to relieve him for heading the probe
into Ishrat`s killing.
After taking over the charge at the SIT office in
Shahibhaug area of the city, Singh told reporters that
"earlier the situation was different. Now, I have been
relieved and I have taken charge".
Abhilasha Kumari had appointed Singh as head of the special
investigation team (SIT) on May 12.
Singh was appointed after the then SIT chairman Karnal
Singh expressed his desire to withdraw from the probe
following his posting in Mizoram.
Ishrat, along with Javed Sheikh alias Pranesh Pillai,
Amjad Ali Rana and Zeeshan Johar, was killed in a police
encounter on June 15, 2004.
After the encounter, city crime branch had claimed
that the deceased were LeT terrorists who had come to kill
Gujarat chief minister Narendra Modi.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan
- 'Intolerance brigade' attacks Zee News' #FatehKaFatwa host Tarek Fateh - WATCH