Ishrat`s mother asks Guj HC to expedite hearing in her case
Ahmedabad: The mother of Ishrat Jahan, the
college girl who was killed in a police encounter along with
three others in 2004, has approached the Gujarat High Court
with a plea to expedite the hearing in her plea for a CBI
inquiry into the death of her daughter.
Shamima Kausar, in her petition filed yesterday, has
cited the Supreme Court`s order of April this year directing
the Gujarat High Court to complete the hearing in her case
within six months.
She has said since the SC wanted her plea seeking CBI
inquiry in the case to be decided with in six months, the high
court should expedite the process and assign the case to a
division bench at the earliest.
According to court sources, the High Court registry has
been ordered by the Chief Justice to put up the case before a
The matter is likely to come up for hearing in June as
there will be summer vacation for the High Court from May 15.
Mumbai-based Ishrat(19) was killed in an encounter along
with Javed Ghulam Sheikh alias Pranesh Kumar Pillai, Amjad Ali
alias Rajkumar Akbar Ali Rana and Jisan Johar Abdul Gani by
Ahmedabad crime branch officials in June, 2004.
Following the death of Ishrat, her mother had approached
the Gujarat High Court in August, 2004, demanding a CBI probe
into the incident.
After the encounter, the police had claimed Ishrat and
the three others killed had links with Pakistan-based
terrorist outfit Lashkar-e-Toiba and they were on a mission to
kill Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi.
However, in September 2009, a judicial inquiry by a
metropolitan magistrate S P Tamang said the encounter was fake
and Ishrat and three others were executed in cold blood by
police officials for their personal benefit.
The report by Tamang was challenged by the state
government in the Gujarat High Court which stayed it and
ordered action against Tamang.
The HC also ordered further investigation in the case
and formed a three-member committee to probe the incident.
Shamima and Gopinath Pillai, father of Javed Ghulam
Sheikh alias Pranesh Kumar Pillai, had approached the Supreme
court against the HC order staying Tamang`s report.
The apex court had in April this year refused to lift the
ban on Tamang`s report and left it to the High Court to decide
on the issue.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Grief stricken people shout slogans as Kalam's body carried out of hospital
- Punjab: Gurdaspur gunbattle ends, all terrorists killed
- Mumbai blasts case: Maharashtra govt opposes Yakub Memon's mercy plea in SC
- PM Modi condoles APJ Abdul Kalam's death
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- FORMER PRESIDENT OF INDIA APJ ABDUL KALAM PASSES AWAY
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- Gurdaspur terror attack: Blow-by-blow account
- SC hearing on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's curative plea