Jagannath Rath yatra passes off peacefully
Ahmedabad: Lord Jagannath`s annual Rathyatra passed off peacefully amid tight security here today.
The procession passed through communally sensitive Kalupur, Dariyapur and Shahpur areas which had witnessed communal violence in the past. But in the last decade, it has become a symbol of communal harmony with people of all communities participating in it.
Minority community leaders in these areas greeted the procession with flowers today and pigeons were released into air.
Despite a heavy police presence, people came out on the streets to watch the procession consisting of 19 decorated elephants, 98 truck-mounted tableaux mirroring various facets of Indian culture and three aesthetically decorated chariots, of Lord Jagannath, Lord Balram and their sister Subhadra.
As per the tradition, Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi performed `Pahind Vidhi` (symbolic path-cleaning for the chariot of Lord Jagannath) after which the Rathyatra began here from the Jagannath temple.
Modi wished that the Lord bless the poor and the farmers with rains and bring them prosperity.
A lLarge number of devotees lined up along the 14-km route. Children vied to get the candy distributed by groups of devotees while trailing the chariots.
The procession took a break at Saraspur, considered to be the maternal home of Lord Jagannath, where `Maha Bhoj` was served to more than 1.5 lakh people.
After a two-hour halt at Saraspur, the yatra returned to the 400-year-old Lord Jagannath temple.
Around 20,000 security personnel, including police, homeguards, SRPs and para-military forces were deployed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- One year of Modi govt: PM Modi addresses mega rally in Mathura Part-II
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- Salman Khan's `Bajrangi Bhaijaan` teaser to be out in two days?
- What couldn't be done in last 10 years, NDA govt did in one year: Smriti Irani in Amethi