Jailed IPS officer spends night at home in Gujarat, DGP orders probe
Ahmedabad: A Gujarat IPS officer, who was arrested in fake encounter cases, was caught on camera moving around without police escort and spending a night at his house here while being in judicial custody, prompting the state government to order an inquiry into the incident.
Director General of Police Amitabh Pathak said a high level inquiry has been ordered into the incident.
Rajkumar Pandian, who was lodged in a Mumbai jail in Sohrabuddin fake encounter case, was brought here last night by Maharashtra Police in Karnavati Express escorted by Mumbai police for his production before the CBI court in Tulsi Prajapati encounter case.
However, as per a video shot by a local TV channel, after his arrival here around 9:20 pm, Pandian was taken to a government rest house in Fort city area, instead of Sabarmati Central Jail, under police escort.
The footage also shows that immediately after reaching the government rest house, Pandian left the police escort and then drove in a private car to his house in Prahladnagar area, where he spent the night.
As per the video clip, Pandian in the morning today reached the rest house, changing his private car in mid-way, from where he went to the CBI court with police escort.
"We still have to figure out whether it was the responsibility of Mumbai Police or Gujarat Police. But we have ordered an inquiry into the whole matter and Additional DGP (Law and Order) Shivanand Jha has been asked to enquire into it," Pathak told PTI.
As per the CBI charge sheet, Pandian was part of the Gujarat police team, who allegedly abducted Soharabuddin and his wife Kauser Bi from Hyderabad. Sohrabuddin was subsequently killed in an alleged fake encounter in November 2005.
Pandian is also an accused in the fake encounter of Tulsiram Prajapati, who was considered an eyewitness of the killings of Sohrabuddin and Kauser Bi. He was to be produced before the special CBI court with other accused.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks