Jamal encounter: CBI hesitant to question Intel officers?
New Delhi: CBI is apparently hesitant to question some top names in the Intelligence circles for their alleged role in the Sadiq Jamal fake encounter in which some senior police officials of Gujarat have been named.
Official sources said during investigation, names of two senior officers in the Intelligence set-up have cropped up, one of whom allegedly provided the input of Jamal as the target of the encounter and the other monitored the developments from here.
The sources said CBI, which is probing the case, is hesitating in questioning these senior officers even though their roles have been described by accused Gujarat Police officials as crucial in planning this encounter.
The sources said the police officers, some of whom have been made accused in the case, are believed to have told the agency that it was the input from a senior officer of a central Intelligence agency which was transferred to crime branch which executed the allegedly fake encounter.
The agency had this week filed its first charge sheet in the case.
When contacted, CBI spokesperson said the investigation has been kept open.
According to sources in CBI and Gujarat government, the officers of the Intelligence agency are too senior and CBI is hesitating in questioning them.
Jamal was killed in an alleged fake police encounter on January 13, 2003 in Naroda, Gujarat. On the plea of his brother, Gujarat High Court entrusted CBI to probe the case in June, 2011 which had arrested five police officials so far.
"CBI investigation revealed that the deceased Sadik Jamal Mahetar was detained for a considerable period before being allegedly killed in a stage managed encounter by the then police officials of Crime Branch, Ahmedabad," the CBI spokesperson said in a statement.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- After prayers at Jagannath Temple, PM Narendra Modi inaugurates IOCL project at Paradip refinery