Judiciary the most important pillar of democracy: Guj Governor
Jaipur: Gujarat Governor Kamla Beniwal on Saturday said judiciary played a vital role in social and economic justice and was the most important pillar of democracy.
The Governor was speaking at the inauguration of a two-day conference on "Role of Judges in Environmental Governance", organised by the Association of Retired Judges of Supreme Court and High Courts here.
Judiciary always maintained the quality of justice in our country and it also played a pivotal role in protecting the environment, she said.
Speaking on the occasion, Chief Justice of Rajasthan High Court Justice Amitava Roy said illegal mining, encroachment on water resources and catchment areas were posing severe threats to environment.
Every individual and collective efforts should be taken to protect environment, Justice Roy said, adding judiciary always played its role and never ignored the issues of protection and conservation of environment.
Association president Justice (Retd) VS Dave expressed serious concern on exploitation of earth, saying "if we do not protect our environment and earth, the next generation would have to face its ill- effects and consequences".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of terror attacks in Baramulla and Kupwara
- DNA: Farooq Abdullah insults national anthem, talks on phone
- Should IAS officers express their opinion on social media platform?
- Should IAS officers express their opinion on social media platform?- Part II
- Should IAS officers express their opinion on social media platform?- Part III