Junagadh stampede toll rises to 7
Rajkot: Toll in the stampede at
Mahashivratri fair at Bhavnath temple in Junagadh district
today rose to seven even as senior police officials said
breakdown of two state transport buses led to the incident.
Premji Makwana, who was injured in the melee last evening
at the famous Shiva temple at the foothills of Girnar, 150 km
from here, succumbed to his injuries at Junagadh Civil
Hospital, official sources said.
The mishap occurred on the narrow Panjanka bridge that
connects Junagadh city to Bhavnath temple when two state
transport buses coming from opposite directions broke down
while crossing the bridge.
"This blocked the entire traffic as well as movement of
people which created panic among them causing the stampede,"
Junagadh SP Dipankar Trivedi said.
The state government has constituted a high-level
committee, headed by Additional Chief Secretary Varun Maria,
to probe the incident.
Nearly nine lakh pilgrims had converged at Bhavnath temple
last evening at the time of the tragedy, district officials
In the wake of the stampede and in a bid to prevent
recurrence of such incidents, the district administration has
put in place many measures.
"To avoid any such incident, we have banned all vehicular
traffic in the area today and people are allowed to go on foot
only," Trivedi said, adding the directions would be in place
till the fair is over.
Meanwhile, Junagadh resident Suresh Banjaria, who had gone
to Bhavnath temple yesterday, said, "People of the city have
been telling the municipal corporation to build a wider bridge
in place of Panjanaka bridge but it has not been done.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- CBSE Board 10th Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & Cbseresults.nic class 10th X board exam results 2015 date announced
- LIVE SCORE: 1st Test, Day 2 - England vs New Zealand
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday