Junior doctors on flash strike in Ahmedabad
Ahmedabad: Junior doctors at the BJ Medical College attached to the Civil Hospital here went on a flash strike on Saturday, after one of the doctors was roughed up by
relatives of a patient who died late last night.
The strike crippled the medical services at the Civil Hospital, one of the biggest government hospitals in the city.
"Over 300 junior resident doctors have gone on strike after one of our colleagues was roughed up by the relatives of a female patient who was critical and expired last night in the ICU," Junior Doctors` Association`s general secretary, Dr
Devang Desai, said.
"We have demanded security for the doctors, and also urged the government to bring in a law to make assault on doctors a non-bailable offence with (punishment of) three years` imprisonment or fine of Rs 50,000, as in 13 other states."
According to hospital staff, Shaijjid Bano (32), admitted in ICU, died last night, and her relatives beat up one of the junior doctors on duty, alleging negligence.
The doctor sustained injuries, they said.
Superintendent, BJ Medical College, MM Prabhakar did not comment on the issue. director - Post Graduate, Dr Achaliya, too refused to make any statement.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Outrage over Tanmay Bhatt's video mocking Lata Mangeshkar, Sachin Tendulkar
- VHP's women wing Durga Vahini gives arms training to children!
- Heavy rain disrupts flight operations in Delhi
- MP: Liquor mafia attacks police, journalists with weapons
- Attack on African nationals: Gen VK Singh slammed for his statement
- Look who's dining together? Navya SPOTTED with Aryan Khan!
- Watch: Mars makes its closest approach to Earth in 11 years today!
- 27 flights diverted as bad weather triggers chaos in Delhi Airport
- CHSE Odisha 12th (+2) Arts and Commerce Result 2016 is expected to be declared today on 30th May - Check orissaresults.nic.in and chseodisha.nic.in
- Wow! Indian professionals 'most confident' globally, says a survey