‘Keep area around historic Dandi bridge clean’
Ahmedabad: The Gujarat High Court has directed the Ahmedabad Municipal Corporation (AMC) to keep the area around the historic Dandi bridge near here clean.
On April 19, the court had issued notice to the Centre, the state government and the AMC, after taking suo motu cognizance of the dilapidated condition of the historic bridge from where Mahatma Gandhi had started his Salt March.
The division bench of acting Chief Justice Bhaskar Bhattacharya and Justice JB Pardiwala on Thursday allowed social worker Hemant Chauhan to become a party to the case.
Chauhan, in his application, said that drainage water of Kali gam area is released under the Dandi bridge and the area stinks as garbage is also dumped nearby.
Chauhan said he had written to the AMC, the state government and even the Prime Minister on this issue, but in vain.
After hearing Chauhan`s lawyer Rashmin Jani, the court directed the AMC to keep the area clean.
It also asked the AMC to submit a report by Monday on how it would stop drainage water from being discharged under the bridge.
The bridge, located near the Sabarmati Ashram, was damaged significantly due to fire on April 17.
Based on media reports on the fire, Justice AS Dave had written a letter to the acting Chief Justice, pointing out condition of the bridge.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Car crushed between 2 trucks in Telangana, 5 dead
- Why are Muslim women being punished with triple talaq system?
- Why are Muslim women being punished with triple talaq system? - Part II
- Why are Muslim women being punished with triple talaq system? - Part III
- Why are Muslim women being punished with triple talaq system? - Part IV
- Original seeds of monster black holes detected, claim astronomers
- OnePlus to launch Loop VR headset this summer
- Wishes galore! Look what Bollywood has to say on Karan Johar's 44th birthday
- Controversial BJP MLA targets Nehru-Gandhi family, asks govt to bring down statues named after them
- Xiaomi Redmi Note 3, Mi 5 goes out of stock within minutes of open sale