‘Keep area around historic Dandi bridge clean’
Ahmedabad: The Gujarat High Court has directed the Ahmedabad Municipal Corporation (AMC) to keep the area around the historic Dandi bridge near here clean.
On April 19, the court had issued notice to the Centre, the state government and the AMC, after taking suo motu cognizance of the dilapidated condition of the historic bridge from where Mahatma Gandhi had started his Salt March.
The division bench of acting Chief Justice Bhaskar Bhattacharya and Justice JB Pardiwala on Thursday allowed social worker Hemant Chauhan to become a party to the case.
Chauhan, in his application, said that drainage water of Kali gam area is released under the Dandi bridge and the area stinks as garbage is also dumped nearby.
Chauhan said he had written to the AMC, the state government and even the Prime Minister on this issue, but in vain.
After hearing Chauhan`s lawyer Rashmin Jani, the court directed the AMC to keep the area clean.
It also asked the AMC to submit a report by Monday on how it would stop drainage water from being discharged under the bridge.
The bridge, located near the Sabarmati Ashram, was damaged significantly due to fire on April 17.
Based on media reports on the fire, Justice AS Dave had written a letter to the acting Chief Justice, pointing out condition of the bridge.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know