‘Keep area around historic Dandi bridge clean’
Ahmedabad: The Gujarat High Court has directed the Ahmedabad Municipal Corporation (AMC) to keep the area around the historic Dandi bridge near here clean.
On April 19, the court had issued notice to the Centre, the state government and the AMC, after taking suo motu cognizance of the dilapidated condition of the historic bridge from where Mahatma Gandhi had started his Salt March.
The division bench of acting Chief Justice Bhaskar Bhattacharya and Justice JB Pardiwala on Thursday allowed social worker Hemant Chauhan to become a party to the case.
Chauhan, in his application, said that drainage water of Kali gam area is released under the Dandi bridge and the area stinks as garbage is also dumped nearby.
Chauhan said he had written to the AMC, the state government and even the Prime Minister on this issue, but in vain.
After hearing Chauhan`s lawyer Rashmin Jani, the court directed the AMC to keep the area clean.
It also asked the AMC to submit a report by Monday on how it would stop drainage water from being discharged under the bridge.
The bridge, located near the Sabarmati Ashram, was damaged significantly due to fire on April 17.
Based on media reports on the fire, Justice AS Dave had written a letter to the acting Chief Justice, pointing out condition of the bridge.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands