Keshubhai asks party to prepare for local body polls in Guj
Ahmedabad: After challenging Chief Minister Narendra Modi in the recently-concluded Assembly elections, Gujarat Parivartan Party chief Keshubhai Patel on Sunday appealed to party cadres to gear up for upcoming polls to local bodies.
"In the Assembly elections, though our party got an overwhelming acceptance, we couldn`t infuse trust. Now it`s our responsibility to convert this acceptance into votes," Patel told a gathering of party workers here.
Thanking party workers for putting up a united fight in the Assembly polls, the former BJP veteran appealed to cadres to "continue with this (enthusiasm) for Panchayat elections slated for next year."
On the occasion, GPP member and former Chief Minister Suresh Mehta while giving details about the local body elections said, "From February 2013, elections of 15 Taluka Panchayats, 77 Nagar Panchayats and 4,000 Gram Panchayats are coming up and we will have to convert our acceptance into votes in these elections."
Analysing the party`s performance in Assembly elections, Mehta claimed that, "Though GPP could win only two seats, it was instrumental in the defeat of 15 BJP and 8 Congress candidates."
Keshubhai also called to review the performance of the party in the Assembly polls in which only two candidates, including Patel, won and the party got 3.02 per cent of total votes polled.
The GPP president said, "Bharatiya Janata Party was able to win only two seats in Lok Sabha even after 17 years of its formation. Moreover, Jansangh, which was formed in 1951, could only manage to
garner 1.84 per cent of votes in Gujarat elections in 1967."
"Whereas, our party won two seats within four months of its inception," he said.
A former BJP stalwart from the state, Patel parted ways with the party alleging the "undemocratic" style of functioning of Chief Minister Narendra Modi and formed GPP.
Addressing party workers, GPP general secretary Gordhan Zadafia said, "Today we all will have to be ready for another battle which is awaiting us and it`s our responsibility to make people aware of current BJP government`s corrupt practices."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- RBSE 12th Science & Commerce Board Result 2015 declared
- West Bengal Board Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 announced
- RBSE rajresults.nic.in & rajeduboard.nic.in 12th Results 2015: BSER Ajmer Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII Senior Secondary Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared shortly
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh