Keshubhai to contest polls from Visavadar town
Rajkot: Former Gujarat chief minister and founder president of the Gujarat Parivartan Party (GPP) Keshubhai Patel on Friday announced to contest the upcoming assembly polls from Visavadar town of Junagadh district.
"Visavadar town would become an epicentre of Saurashtra region to bring about a change in the political atmosphere of the state," Patel said adding that he would contest the polls from Visavadar, from where, he had contested the state polls in the past and become the chief minister.
83-year-old Patel, who had worked with BJP for decades, had quit the party to form his own last month.
He claimed that many BJP leaders were in touch with him, as they were willing to join his party and were waiting for the announcement of election dates.
Maha Gujarat Janata Party (MJP) president Gordhan Zadaphiya and former Chief Minister Suresh Mehta have already been with Patel.
Patel, who was unceremoniously replaced by Narendra Modi as the chief minister in 2001, criticised his style of functioning and said change was needed in the state` politics as people were "living in fear" under Modi rule.
Patel launched his `Parivartan Sandesh Yatra` from Virpur town yesterday.
The 36-day-long yatra has been divided into five phases and would conclude on October 31 at Ahmedabad before covering all the 182-assembly seats.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- DNA: Will multi-level car parking system across India help reduce traffic jams?
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city