Keshubhai`s son Bharat rejoins BJP before Lok Sabha polls
Ahmedabad: In a major blow to the recently formed Gujarat Parivartan Party (GPP) floated by former Gujarat chief minister Keshubhai Patel, his son Bharat on Monday rejoined the BJP here.
Though he is not considered a heavyweight like his father, Bharat Patel is likely to dampen GPP`s prospects ahead of the 2014 Lok Sabha elections.
He was welcomed in the party by Gujarat state unit president R C Faldu and general secretary Vijay Rupani by giving him a saffron scarf at the BJP office here today.
"I have discussed this issue with my father and he has told me to take my own path," Bharat told, when asked if he took his father Keshubhai Patel`s permission before taking the decision to join the BJP.
"I have been with the BJP and RSS from the beginning of my political career. When my father formed a new party, I only acted as his agent in his Visavadar constituency," Patel said.
In a reply to a question if his father would make any political overtures towards the BJP, he said that as far as his father is concerned, he remains GPP president.
"However, considering his (Keshubhai`s) age of 86 years, he told me that he would work with limitations in politics from now," Patel said, indicating that the former chief minister may not be involved in active politics.
Keshubhai who was BJP`s first chief minister in Gujarat had formed the GPP before the 2012 state Assembly elections after resigning from his parent party.
However, his party could not make an impact in Gujarat elections, as it managed to win only two out of 182 seats.
Meanwhile, BJP leaders see this a major development, especially after another former BJP MLA Rakesh Rao, who had also joined the GPP, rejoined the party today.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`