Keshubhai`s son Bharat rejoins BJP before Lok Sabha polls
Ahmedabad: In a major blow to the recently formed Gujarat Parivartan Party (GPP) floated by former Gujarat chief minister Keshubhai Patel, his son Bharat on Monday rejoined the BJP here.
Though he is not considered a heavyweight like his father, Bharat Patel is likely to dampen GPP`s prospects ahead of the 2014 Lok Sabha elections.
He was welcomed in the party by Gujarat state unit president R C Faldu and general secretary Vijay Rupani by giving him a saffron scarf at the BJP office here today.
"I have discussed this issue with my father and he has told me to take my own path," Bharat told, when asked if he took his father Keshubhai Patel`s permission before taking the decision to join the BJP.
"I have been with the BJP and RSS from the beginning of my political career. When my father formed a new party, I only acted as his agent in his Visavadar constituency," Patel said.
In a reply to a question if his father would make any political overtures towards the BJP, he said that as far as his father is concerned, he remains GPP president.
"However, considering his (Keshubhai`s) age of 86 years, he told me that he would work with limitations in politics from now," Patel said, indicating that the former chief minister may not be involved in active politics.
Keshubhai who was BJP`s first chief minister in Gujarat had formed the GPP before the 2012 state Assembly elections after resigning from his parent party.
However, his party could not make an impact in Gujarat elections, as it managed to win only two out of 182 seats.
Meanwhile, BJP leaders see this a major development, especially after another former BJP MLA Rakesh Rao, who had also joined the GPP, rejoined the party today.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- Amit Shah addresses BJP's mega convention in Delhi
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?