Keshubhai`s son Bharat rejoins BJP before Lok Sabha polls
Ahmedabad: In a major blow to the recently formed Gujarat Parivartan Party (GPP) floated by former Gujarat chief minister Keshubhai Patel, his son Bharat on Monday rejoined the BJP here.
Though he is not considered a heavyweight like his father, Bharat Patel is likely to dampen GPP`s prospects ahead of the 2014 Lok Sabha elections.
He was welcomed in the party by Gujarat state unit president R C Faldu and general secretary Vijay Rupani by giving him a saffron scarf at the BJP office here today.
"I have discussed this issue with my father and he has told me to take my own path," Bharat told, when asked if he took his father Keshubhai Patel`s permission before taking the decision to join the BJP.
"I have been with the BJP and RSS from the beginning of my political career. When my father formed a new party, I only acted as his agent in his Visavadar constituency," Patel said.
In a reply to a question if his father would make any political overtures towards the BJP, he said that as far as his father is concerned, he remains GPP president.
"However, considering his (Keshubhai`s) age of 86 years, he told me that he would work with limitations in politics from now," Patel said, indicating that the former chief minister may not be involved in active politics.
Keshubhai who was BJP`s first chief minister in Gujarat had formed the GPP before the 2012 state Assembly elections after resigning from his parent party.
However, his party could not make an impact in Gujarat elections, as it managed to win only two out of 182 seats.
Meanwhile, BJP leaders see this a major development, especially after another former BJP MLA Rakesh Rao, who had also joined the GPP, rejoined the party today.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Is Pakistan trying to divert India from issue of terrorism?
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- Bangladesh scraps China-proposed deep sea port, India offers help to develop another
- Deepika Padukone reads letter written by father – Watch - You will be moved to tears
- Watch video: Samajwadi Party leader's celebratory firing kills 10-year-old child in Shamli
- IRS website hacked by suspected Pakistani hackers, messages like 'Pakistan Zindabad' posted