Key accused in Pandya murder case re-arrested
Ahmedabad: Asgar Ali, the prime accused in the murder of former Gujarat minister Haren Pandya, was re-arrested after his release from Sabarmati Jail in connection with two other cases pending against him.
Ali was released yesterday from Sabarmati Jail here after undergoing imprisonment for eight years and was immediately taken into custody by Andhra Pradesh Police in connection with two cases pending against him, defence counsel Chandrashekhar Gupta told a news agency.
One of the two cases pending against Ali in Hyderabad is under the Explosive Substance Act and another for aiding a prisoner to escape from jail, Gupta said.
Ali, who was sentenced for life till the last breath by a trial court in connection with Pandya`s murder, was acquitted of the murder charges by the Gujarat High Court on August 29, along with 11 other accused in the case.
However, the high court upheld the 2007 decision of the trial court to convict Ali and 11 others for criminal conspiracy and terrorism under the Prevention of Terrorism Act (POTA).
A division bench of justices DH Waghela and JC Upadhyaya, while pronouncing the acquittal, had slammed CBI for its "botched up" and "blinkered" investigations in the Pandya murder case.
According to CBI`s contention, Pandya was murdered to avenge the 2002 communal riots.
The former Minister of State for Home, was shot dead on March 26, 2003, near Law Garden area of the city while taking a morning walk.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Team Yogi Adityanath: List of Yogi's ministers with their portfolios - Check who got what