Key accused in Pandya murder case re-arrested
Ahmedabad: Asgar Ali, the prime accused in the murder of former Gujarat minister Haren Pandya, was re-arrested after his release from Sabarmati Jail in connection with two other cases pending against him.
Ali was released yesterday from Sabarmati Jail here after undergoing imprisonment for eight years and was immediately taken into custody by Andhra Pradesh Police in connection with two cases pending against him, defence counsel Chandrashekhar Gupta told a news agency.
One of the two cases pending against Ali in Hyderabad is under the Explosive Substance Act and another for aiding a prisoner to escape from jail, Gupta said.
Ali, who was sentenced for life till the last breath by a trial court in connection with Pandya`s murder, was acquitted of the murder charges by the Gujarat High Court on August 29, along with 11 other accused in the case.
However, the high court upheld the 2007 decision of the trial court to convict Ali and 11 others for criminal conspiracy and terrorism under the Prevention of Terrorism Act (POTA).
A division bench of justices DH Waghela and JC Upadhyaya, while pronouncing the acquittal, had slammed CBI for its "botched up" and "blinkered" investigations in the Pandya murder case.
According to CBI`s contention, Pandya was murdered to avenge the 2002 communal riots.
The former Minister of State for Home, was shot dead on March 26, 2003, near Law Garden area of the city while taking a morning walk.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA