Kodnani moves Guj HC seeking suspension of sentence
Ahmedabad: Former state minister Maya Kodnani, sentenced to life in 2002 Naroda Patiya riot case, has filed a petition in the Gujarat High Court seeking bail and suspension of sentence till her appeal is decided.
The petition, filed through advocate Hardik Dave, says that hearing on appeal may take long, so the sentence should be suspended.
It had been almost five months since her appeal was admitted by the High Court but hearing had not started. The prosecution was yet to file its appeal, and the hearing would take long to complete. The trial itself had taken ten years, it points out.
Petition also claims that she was not "a flight risk" as she was living in the city for many years with "deep roots in the society" and had been a gynaecology practitioner.
Last August, Judge Jyostna Yagnik sentenced Kodnani to 28 years in jail, while Bajrang Dal leader Babu Bajrangi was ordered to spend the rest of his life in prison. Eight others were awarded 31-year imprisonment, while 22 convicts got 24 years` prison term.
As many as 97 people were killed in Naroda Patiya locality of the city by a mob on February 28, 2002, a day after the Godhra train carnage.
Recently, Gujarat state legal department approved the recommendation of the SIT to file an appeal in the High Court seeking death sentences for 10 convicts, including Kodnani and Bajrangi.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Fresh plea in SC against triple talaq system
- Consumers will be compensated for unscheduled power cuts: Delhi CM Kejriwal
- Shocking! Man dies performing stunt in moving train in Mumbai
- China planning to stretch its Nepal rail link to Bihar: Report
- National child helpline number '1098' now launched in 25 languages!
- Biharboard.ac.in & biharboard.bih.nic.in BSEB 12th Inter Arts Results 2016: Bihar Board Class 12 XII Intermediate Arts Results 2016 to be announced today on 25th May, 2016 at 3 PM
- Mbose.in HSSLC 12th Results 2016: Meghalaya Board (megresults.nic.in) class 12th HSSLC Arts exam results 2016, MBOSE to be declared today on May 25 at 10 AM
- Uttarakhand board Class 10th results 2016 to be declared today on May 25, 2016 at 11 AM
- Goa GBSHSE SSC Class 10th Results 2016 to be declared today May 25, 2016 at 3 PM
- Uttarakhand board Class 12th results 2016 to be declared today on May 25, 2016 at 11 AM