Kodnani moves Guj HC seeking suspension of sentence
Ahmedabad: Former state minister Maya Kodnani, sentenced to life in 2002 Naroda Patiya riot case, has filed a petition in the Gujarat High Court seeking bail and suspension of sentence till her appeal is decided.
The petition, filed through advocate Hardik Dave, says that hearing on appeal may take long, so the sentence should be suspended.
It had been almost five months since her appeal was admitted by the High Court but hearing had not started. The prosecution was yet to file its appeal, and the hearing would take long to complete. The trial itself had taken ten years, it points out.
Petition also claims that she was not "a flight risk" as she was living in the city for many years with "deep roots in the society" and had been a gynaecology practitioner.
Last August, Judge Jyostna Yagnik sentenced Kodnani to 28 years in jail, while Bajrang Dal leader Babu Bajrangi was ordered to spend the rest of his life in prison. Eight others were awarded 31-year imprisonment, while 22 convicts got 24 years` prison term.
As many as 97 people were killed in Naroda Patiya locality of the city by a mob on February 28, 2002, a day after the Godhra train carnage.
Recently, Gujarat state legal department approved the recommendation of the SIT to file an appeal in the High Court seeking death sentences for 10 convicts, including Kodnani and Bajrangi.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Watch: Sushma Swaraj addresses the UN General Assembly
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price