Kohli to be sworn in as Gujarat Governor on Wednesday
Gandhinagar: Senior BJP leader O P Kohli will be sworn-in as 24th Governor of Gujarat Wednesday.
Chief Justice Bhaskar Bhattacharya of the Gujarat High Court will administer the oath of office and secrecy to Kohli in Gandhinagar town hall tomorrow at 6 pm, an official statement issued by the state government said.
According to an official communique of the Rashtrapati Bhavan, O P Kohli (78) was appointed as the governor of Gujarat yesterday.
Kohli has been appointed in place of former Gujarat Governor Dr Kamla Beniwal, who had frosty relations with Narendra Modi when he was Chief Minister of the state, was transferred to to Mizoram in a reshuffle of governors effected by the government on July 6.
Rajasthan Governor Margaret Alva was appointed as the additional governor of Gujarat on July 7.
Kohli, who was a Rajya Sabha member from 1994 to 2000, takes over as Governor in Gujarat after 87-year-old Kamla Beniwal was shifted to Mizoram by the Government for remainder of her term till November this year.
A former Chief of BJP`s Delhi unit in 2009, Kohli has been associated with BJP since his student days and was made the president of party`s student wing Akhil Bhartiya Vidyarthi Parishad (ABVP)- and later became Chief of Delhi University Teacher Association.
The oath-taking ceremony is likely to be attended by Gujarat Chief Minister Anandi Patel along with her cabinet colleagues.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indian Army 5th deadliest in the world: Report
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- Was Giani Zail Singh planning to topple Rajiv Gandhi govt in 1987?