Kutch quake victims still living in tin hovels: Cong
Ahmedabad: Gujarat Congress on Friday accused
the state government of failing to provide basic amenities to
the victims of 2001 Kutch earthquake, saying many victims were
still living in tin hovels.
"Gujarat government (of chief minister Narendra Modi)
has forgotten the woes of those affected by the killer quake
in which more than 20,000 people died," Gujarat Pradesh
Congress Committee President Siddharth Patel told reporters.
"Thousands of people still live in the tin hovels as
they have not been provided with land or houses," Patel said.
He also showed a short film on people living in tin hovels.
"These tin shades were given as temporary residences
after the earthquake. But they still continue to live in those
hovels after 10 years," Patel said.
He said that many villages and towns were not getting
proper electricity and water supply.
Patel alleged that Anjar municipality had passed a
resolution to build a memorial at the place in the town where
over 200 school children died during the quake, but state
government was not allowing it.
"This shows that the government here just cares for
the rich," Patel said.
"The state government gives huge pieces of land to big
industrial houses overnight but even after 10 years it has
not given land to quake victims because they are poor," Patel
He further said, "Gujarat government has given 1,000
hectares of land to a company called Solaris on rent of Rs 160
per year per hectare in Kutch but victims are still living in
He also said that Modi government has created a big
divide between rich and poor by its policies.
He stated that if problem of quake victims were not
resolved, Congress party would launch a statewide agitation.
He said that instead of organising events like Vibrant
Gujarat Summit, government should focus on solving the
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's speech at Gorakhnath temple
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- Amit Shah addresses BJP's mega convention in Delhi
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?