Kutch quake victims still living in tin hovels: Cong
Ahmedabad: Gujarat Congress on Friday accused
the state government of failing to provide basic amenities to
the victims of 2001 Kutch earthquake, saying many victims were
still living in tin hovels.
"Gujarat government (of chief minister Narendra Modi)
has forgotten the woes of those affected by the killer quake
in which more than 20,000 people died," Gujarat Pradesh
Congress Committee President Siddharth Patel told reporters.
"Thousands of people still live in the tin hovels as
they have not been provided with land or houses," Patel said.
He also showed a short film on people living in tin hovels.
"These tin shades were given as temporary residences
after the earthquake. But they still continue to live in those
hovels after 10 years," Patel said.
He said that many villages and towns were not getting
proper electricity and water supply.
Patel alleged that Anjar municipality had passed a
resolution to build a memorial at the place in the town where
over 200 school children died during the quake, but state
government was not allowing it.
"This shows that the government here just cares for
the rich," Patel said.
"The state government gives huge pieces of land to big
industrial houses overnight but even after 10 years it has
not given land to quake victims because they are poor," Patel
He further said, "Gujarat government has given 1,000
hectares of land to a company called Solaris on rent of Rs 160
per year per hectare in Kutch but victims are still living in
He also said that Modi government has created a big
divide between rich and poor by its policies.
He stated that if problem of quake victims were not
resolved, Congress party would launch a statewide agitation.
He said that instead of organising events like Vibrant
Gujarat Summit, government should focus on solving the
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark