Kutch quake victims still living in tin hovels: Cong
Ahmedabad: Gujarat Congress on Friday accused
the state government of failing to provide basic amenities to
the victims of 2001 Kutch earthquake, saying many victims were
still living in tin hovels.
"Gujarat government (of chief minister Narendra Modi)
has forgotten the woes of those affected by the killer quake
in which more than 20,000 people died," Gujarat Pradesh
Congress Committee President Siddharth Patel told reporters.
"Thousands of people still live in the tin hovels as
they have not been provided with land or houses," Patel said.
He also showed a short film on people living in tin hovels.
"These tin shades were given as temporary residences
after the earthquake. But they still continue to live in those
hovels after 10 years," Patel said.
He said that many villages and towns were not getting
proper electricity and water supply.
Patel alleged that Anjar municipality had passed a
resolution to build a memorial at the place in the town where
over 200 school children died during the quake, but state
government was not allowing it.
"This shows that the government here just cares for
the rich," Patel said.
"The state government gives huge pieces of land to big
industrial houses overnight but even after 10 years it has
not given land to quake victims because they are poor," Patel
He further said, "Gujarat government has given 1,000
hectares of land to a company called Solaris on rent of Rs 160
per year per hectare in Kutch but victims are still living in
He also said that Modi government has created a big
divide between rich and poor by its policies.
He stated that if problem of quake victims were not
resolved, Congress party would launch a statewide agitation.
He said that instead of organising events like Vibrant
Gujarat Summit, government should focus on solving the
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'