Lack of coordination in Guj affecting crops: BKS
Ahmedabad: Blaming "lack of coordination" in
Gujarat government`s departments for affecting production of
crops, the Bharatiya Kisan Sangh today claimed that over 3.75
lakh applications of farmers seeking electricity connections
have been awaiting clearance.
Demanding fix timing for electricity supply to farmers,
BKS Gujarat president Magan Patel said since power is supplied
on the basis of rotation, it is affecting production of crops.
Farmers in Gujarat currently receive power in morning for
one week, in afternoon the second week and at night in the
subsequent week, he said.
"Presently, we get electricity for eight hours in the
morning every third week as per the rotation policy of the
state government," Patel said.
"Therefore, we have demanded that government provide us
electricity only in morning time so that the crops are
properly irrigated. Electricity in night is of no use," he
said, adding electricity is used to irrigate fields using
Patel said change in timing of water supply is also
affecting crop production as it shows "lack of
coordination within the government departments".
He claimed as many as 57 talukas in Gujarat fall under
"dark zone" where farmers do not get electricity at all.
"Besides those in the dark zone, over nearly 3.75 lakh
applications of farmers from 175 talukas for electricity
connections are pending with the state government since long."
Expressing concern over a trend of agricultural land being
sold by farmers to industrialists, Patel said, "Now with the
land prices soaring beyond expectation, the farmers are lured
towards selling their land because agriculture has become a
loss-making proposition due to the policies of the state
government," Patel said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- Etawah: UP cops caught drunk while on duty
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- Here's why Donald Trump called PM Narendra Modi
- Gautam Gambhir gives Aussies perfect send-off, says true champions let their game do all the talking!