Land given to corporates could have been used for
Vadodara: Union Minister of State for Railways Bharatsinh Solanki on Monday said that Gujarat government could have used "thousands of acres" of `gauchar` (grazing) lands for growing fodder, instead of giving them away at low prices to corporate houses.
On Saturday, Chief Minister Narendra Modi had asked the Centre to lease out unused stretches of land along the railway tracks for one year for cultivation of fodder.
Talking to reporters here, Solanki said, "Railway Ministry has yet to receive any communication from Modi...Decision will be based on the policy framed in this regard.
"If vast chunks of gauchar land had not been given to the corporate houses by Modi, this situation would not have arisen, and cattle-owners would not have faced shortage of fodder."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- Yakub Memon wanted to meet his daughter before being hanged
- It's a canard that Kalam was reluctant to appoint Sonia Gandhi as PM: Manmohan Singh