Large-scale irregularities in Gujarat electoral rolls: Cong
Ahmedabad: The Congress in Gujarat on Tuesday
alleged large-scale irregularities in the electoral rolls
prepared by the State Election Commission (SEC) and said the
Central Election Commission has been informed about this.
As many as 25 lakh bogus voters have found their way
in the electoral rolls, party leaders said here.
"We have analysed the electoral roll for each Assembly
constituency prepared by the Election Commission in October
2009. There are large-scale irregularities in the voters` list
and it appears that it has been tampered with," Gujarat
Pradesh Congress Committee President Siddharth Patel told
media persons here.
Patel said they have filed a written complaint in this
regard with the SEC and Central Election Commission.
"We have found that one Election Photo Identity Card
(EPIC) number has been assigned to multiple voters. And this
is not all, the same EPIC number, in number of cases, been
assigned to voters of other Assembly constituencies," Patel
He said, "such an irregularity could not be termed as
mistake; tampering has been deliberately done" and "in all, we
believe that there are 25 lakh names in the voters` list which
could be fake or bogus."
"We believe that the additional names in the list
could have affected the results of the 2009 Lok Sabha
elections (in Gujarat). Therefore, we have asked the Election
Commission to revise the rolls at the earliest," Patel said.
The GPCC President said such irregularities could
prove to be more damaging with the introduction of the
e-voting during the forthcoming municipal elections.
In the e-voting system it is not required for the
voter to go to the polling booth, Patel said, adding that each
voter would be given a code using which he could vote online.
This would prove more harmful and give rise to further
irregularities, he contended.
"We are awaiting the response from the State Election
Commission, after which we would take further action."
Officials of the State Election Commission confirmed
they have received complaint from the GPCC, but declined to
provide further details.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- DNA: Inside story of Indian Army's surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read