Large-scale irregularities in Gujarat electoral rolls: Cong
Ahmedabad: The Congress in Gujarat on Tuesday
alleged large-scale irregularities in the electoral rolls
prepared by the State Election Commission (SEC) and said the
Central Election Commission has been informed about this.
As many as 25 lakh bogus voters have found their way
in the electoral rolls, party leaders said here.
"We have analysed the electoral roll for each Assembly
constituency prepared by the Election Commission in October
2009. There are large-scale irregularities in the voters` list
and it appears that it has been tampered with," Gujarat
Pradesh Congress Committee President Siddharth Patel told
media persons here.
Patel said they have filed a written complaint in this
regard with the SEC and Central Election Commission.
"We have found that one Election Photo Identity Card
(EPIC) number has been assigned to multiple voters. And this
is not all, the same EPIC number, in number of cases, been
assigned to voters of other Assembly constituencies," Patel
He said, "such an irregularity could not be termed as
mistake; tampering has been deliberately done" and "in all, we
believe that there are 25 lakh names in the voters` list which
could be fake or bogus."
"We believe that the additional names in the list
could have affected the results of the 2009 Lok Sabha
elections (in Gujarat). Therefore, we have asked the Election
Commission to revise the rolls at the earliest," Patel said.
The GPCC President said such irregularities could
prove to be more damaging with the introduction of the
e-voting during the forthcoming municipal elections.
In the e-voting system it is not required for the
voter to go to the polling booth, Patel said, adding that each
voter would be given a code using which he could vote online.
This would prove more harmful and give rise to further
irregularities, he contended.
"We are awaiting the response from the State Election
Commission, after which we would take further action."
Officials of the State Election Commission confirmed
they have received complaint from the GPCC, but declined to
provide further details.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Unidentified flying objects spotted over Mumbai airport not motorised: Home Department
- Militants kill five, target telecoms in Kashmir attacks
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- CBSE 10th Results 2015 to be declared on May 27