‘Lashkar-e-Toiba’ threatens terror strike in Ahmedabad; security beefed up
Ahmedabad: Security has been beefed up at the Sardar Vallabhai Patel International Airport (SVPIA) and other vital locations here on Thursday following a letter purportedly from Lashkar-e-Toiba (LeT) threatening terror strikes.
"On Wednesday, we received a threatening letter written in English and `Lashkar-e-Toiba` written on the letter-head through regular post," SVPIA Director R K Singh told PTI today.
A copy of the letter has been sent to the state police chief Chittaranjan Singh for further investigation, he added.
"Ahmedabad be ready for face the real terror," warned the letter and added `terror will strike at four other places in the city`, a senior police officer said.
Other locations which were listed in the threat letter were Ramada Hotel, Bakeri City, Venus Residency and Himalaya Mall.
"The letter, which was received by the Airport Director, was sent to me and I have sent the copies to Ahmedabad Police Commissioner and Central IB," said Director General of Police Chittaranjan Singh.
"As this is almost an identical letter to the one received by a five-star hotel in Ahmedabad a few months ago, we have asked the Anti-Terror Squad (ATS) also to investigate," he added.
He has also ordered strengthen of security at all other four city locations which were mentioned in the letter as well as all malls, railway station and bus stops in the city.
"Ahmedabad city has been put on alert," he said.
Security was beefed up at the airport where bomb disposal squad and sniffer dogs were put into action.
At the same time, all security personnel were asked to remain alert at arrival, departure areas and tight passenger scrutiny was also taken up, officials said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: 8-year-old boy dies after falling into pothole
- Woman commits suicide in UP after posting message on social media
- Nirbhaya gang-rape convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail
- Rajnath Singh, Mehbooba Mufti hold joint press conference on Kashmir violence
- Will appoint nodal officer for Kashmiris: Rajnath Singh
- Attack on Kabul`s American University ends as attackers killed
- Colombia announces historic peace pact
- Aamir Khan's '3 Idiots' sequel on the cards? Here's what Rajkumar Hirani has to say!
- 'Nirbhaya' gang-rape: Convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail, admitted to hospital
- Iranian Navy in `unsafe` intercept of US destroyer: Defense official