‘Lashkar-e-Toiba’ threatens terror strike in Ahmedabad; security beefed up
Ahmedabad: Security has been beefed up at the Sardar Vallabhai Patel International Airport (SVPIA) and other vital locations here on Thursday following a letter purportedly from Lashkar-e-Toiba (LeT) threatening terror strikes.
"On Wednesday, we received a threatening letter written in English and `Lashkar-e-Toiba` written on the letter-head through regular post," SVPIA Director R K Singh told PTI today.
A copy of the letter has been sent to the state police chief Chittaranjan Singh for further investigation, he added.
"Ahmedabad be ready for face the real terror," warned the letter and added `terror will strike at four other places in the city`, a senior police officer said.
Other locations which were listed in the threat letter were Ramada Hotel, Bakeri City, Venus Residency and Himalaya Mall.
"The letter, which was received by the Airport Director, was sent to me and I have sent the copies to Ahmedabad Police Commissioner and Central IB," said Director General of Police Chittaranjan Singh.
"As this is almost an identical letter to the one received by a five-star hotel in Ahmedabad a few months ago, we have asked the Anti-Terror Squad (ATS) also to investigate," he added.
He has also ordered strengthen of security at all other four city locations which were mentioned in the letter as well as all malls, railway station and bus stops in the city.
"Ahmedabad city has been put on alert," he said.
Security was beefed up at the airport where bomb disposal squad and sniffer dogs were put into action.
At the same time, all security personnel were asked to remain alert at arrival, departure areas and tight passenger scrutiny was also taken up, officials said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- CBSE Class X Results 2015 to be announced today?
- Kerala Plus Two Results 2015 on keralaresults.nic.in
- Lalu Yadav invites Jitan Ram Manjhi for joint fight against BJP, JD(U) upset