‘Lashkar-e-Toiba’ threatens terror strike in Ahmedabad; security beefed up
Ahmedabad: Security has been beefed up at the Sardar Vallabhai Patel International Airport (SVPIA) and other vital locations here on Thursday following a letter purportedly from Lashkar-e-Toiba (LeT) threatening terror strikes.
"On Wednesday, we received a threatening letter written in English and `Lashkar-e-Toiba` written on the letter-head through regular post," SVPIA Director R K Singh told PTI today.
A copy of the letter has been sent to the state police chief Chittaranjan Singh for further investigation, he added.
"Ahmedabad be ready for face the real terror," warned the letter and added `terror will strike at four other places in the city`, a senior police officer said.
Other locations which were listed in the threat letter were Ramada Hotel, Bakeri City, Venus Residency and Himalaya Mall.
"The letter, which was received by the Airport Director, was sent to me and I have sent the copies to Ahmedabad Police Commissioner and Central IB," said Director General of Police Chittaranjan Singh.
"As this is almost an identical letter to the one received by a five-star hotel in Ahmedabad a few months ago, we have asked the Anti-Terror Squad (ATS) also to investigate," he added.
He has also ordered strengthen of security at all other four city locations which were mentioned in the letter as well as all malls, railway station and bus stops in the city.
"Ahmedabad city has been put on alert," he said.
Security was beefed up at the airport where bomb disposal squad and sniffer dogs were put into action.
At the same time, all security personnel were asked to remain alert at arrival, departure areas and tight passenger scrutiny was also taken up, officials said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, asked to leave India
- Panel discussion on the need of Pakistan's ambassador in India
- Ceasefire violations by Pak: Should India carry out surgical strike part-II?
- DNA: Zee Media's campaign to celebrate Diwali with soldier's family
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- VIRAL VIDEO: Damn cute! Why this 9-week-old's full head of hair is shocking the internet - WATCH
- UPA govt thought of attacking Lashkar HQ, training camps after 26/11 strike, claims ex-NSA Shivshankar Menon