‘Lashkar-e-Toiba’ threatens terror strike in Ahmedabad; security beefed up
Ahmedabad: Security has been beefed up at the Sardar Vallabhai Patel International Airport (SVPIA) and other vital locations here on Thursday following a letter purportedly from Lashkar-e-Toiba (LeT) threatening terror strikes.
"On Wednesday, we received a threatening letter written in English and `Lashkar-e-Toiba` written on the letter-head through regular post," SVPIA Director R K Singh told PTI today.
A copy of the letter has been sent to the state police chief Chittaranjan Singh for further investigation, he added.
"Ahmedabad be ready for face the real terror," warned the letter and added `terror will strike at four other places in the city`, a senior police officer said.
Other locations which were listed in the threat letter were Ramada Hotel, Bakeri City, Venus Residency and Himalaya Mall.
"The letter, which was received by the Airport Director, was sent to me and I have sent the copies to Ahmedabad Police Commissioner and Central IB," said Director General of Police Chittaranjan Singh.
"As this is almost an identical letter to the one received by a five-star hotel in Ahmedabad a few months ago, we have asked the Anti-Terror Squad (ATS) also to investigate," he added.
He has also ordered strengthen of security at all other four city locations which were mentioned in the letter as well as all malls, railway station and bus stops in the city.
"Ahmedabad city has been put on alert," he said.
Security was beefed up at the airport where bomb disposal squad and sniffer dogs were put into action.
At the same time, all security personnel were asked to remain alert at arrival, departure areas and tight passenger scrutiny was also taken up, officials said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- New SC bench to hear 1993 Mumbai bomb blasts convict Yakub Memon's plea on Wednesday