Lokayukta case: Cong accuses Modi of hypocrisy
New Delhi: Congress Wednesday used the Gujarat
High Court order on Lokayukta to attack Chief Minister Narendra Modi, saying the verdict was another judicial confirmation of his "hypocrisy" and the "double standards" of BJP.
Party spokesperson Abhishek Singhvi said while the BJP
shouts for Lokpal from the rooftops in Delhi, it not only
keeps the Lokayukta position in its state vacant for nine long
years but also further "delays" it by challenging the joint
nomination for it made by high functionaries like Gujarat
Governor and state Chief Justice.
Reacting to the Gujarat High Court upholding the
appointment of Lokayukta by the Governor, Singhvi said,
"This is yet another judicial confirmation of Modi`s hypocrisy
and double standards of BJP...The High Court has rightly
rebuffed such stalling and obstructionist tactics."
"BJP has always believed that what is applicable in Delhi
should not apply in Gujarat and what is okay in Gujarat is bad
for Delhi," he said.
Gujarat Governor Kamla Beniwal had appointed Retired
Justice R A Mehta on the post of Lokayukta on August 25 last
year. The post was lying vacant for eight years prior to that.
The Gujarat government, led by Modi, had gone all out to
oppose the appointment of Lokayukta by the Governor for
"bypassing the state government".
On October 11, a division bench of Gujarat High Court had
given a split verdict on the appointment of Lokayukta by the
Governor. While Justice Kureshi had upheld the decision of
Governor, Justice Gokani had quashed the warrant of appoint
issued by the Governor terming it unconstitutional.
Justice V M Sahai, who was given the task of hearing the
petition challenging the appointment of Lokayukta following
the split verdict by the division bench, said, "I could not
agree with Justice Sonia Gokani of the division bench on the
points of difference, which were referred to me."
He, however, said that, "I concur with the views of my
brother judge Akil Kureshi....Hence, the government petition
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum