Lokayukta case: Guj govt moves SC
New Delhi: The Gujarat government on Thursday moved the Supreme Court challenging the state High Court verdict upholding appointment of Justice RA Mehta as Lokayukta by Governor Kamla Beniwal.
The appeal was filed by the Gujarat government after holding consultations with legal experts.
The development comes a day after the Gujarat High Court, in a majority decision, upheld the appointment of Lokayukta by the Governor, while dismissing the plea of the state challenging it.
The ruling was seen as a big embarrassment for state`s hardline Chief Minister Narendra Modi.
In its petition, the Gujarat government has contended that the Governor’s decision to appointment Mehta as Lokayukta bypassed constraints and restraints imposed by the Constitution on the Governor`s office.
Responding to the High Court ruling, BJP yesterday termed it as "a setback to federalism".
"The divided judgement of the Gujarat High Court is a setback to federalism. The Governor is a nominee of central government.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- More than 9 lakh people participated in the oath-taking ceremony of Donald Trump
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- DNA: Analyzing the harmful effects of selfies
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog