Lokayukta case: Guj govt moves SC
New Delhi: The Gujarat government on Thursday moved the Supreme Court challenging the state High Court verdict upholding appointment of Justice RA Mehta as Lokayukta by Governor Kamla Beniwal.
The appeal was filed by the Gujarat government after holding consultations with legal experts.
The development comes a day after the Gujarat High Court, in a majority decision, upheld the appointment of Lokayukta by the Governor, while dismissing the plea of the state challenging it.
The ruling was seen as a big embarrassment for state`s hardline Chief Minister Narendra Modi.
In its petition, the Gujarat government has contended that the Governor’s decision to appointment Mehta as Lokayukta bypassed constraints and restraints imposed by the Constitution on the Governor`s office.
Responding to the High Court ruling, BJP yesterday termed it as "a setback to federalism".
"The divided judgement of the Gujarat High Court is a setback to federalism. The Governor is a nominee of central government.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO