Lokayukta case: Guj govt moves SC
New Delhi: The Gujarat government on Thursday moved the Supreme Court challenging the state High Court verdict upholding appointment of Justice RA Mehta as Lokayukta by Governor Kamla Beniwal.
The appeal was filed by the Gujarat government after holding consultations with legal experts.
The development comes a day after the Gujarat High Court, in a majority decision, upheld the appointment of Lokayukta by the Governor, while dismissing the plea of the state challenging it.
The ruling was seen as a big embarrassment for state`s hardline Chief Minister Narendra Modi.
In its petition, the Gujarat government has contended that the Governor’s decision to appointment Mehta as Lokayukta bypassed constraints and restraints imposed by the Constitution on the Governor`s office.
Responding to the High Court ruling, BJP yesterday termed it as "a setback to federalism".
"The divided judgement of the Gujarat High Court is a setback to federalism. The Governor is a nominee of central government.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 11-year old Odisha boy to get football training at Bayern Munich in Germany
- China warns India against deploying BrahMos cruise missile in Arunachal Pradesh
- One killed in TV channel office attack in Karachi
- Gujarat: Journalist working for local daily found dead in his Junagadh office
- Watch: How floods throw normal life out of gear across country
- A love story for Akshay Kumar in toilet? Details inside
- Wondering if Ranveer Singh is on board Deepika Padukone’s ‘Padmavati’? Details inside
- Saif Ali Khan finds Kareena Kapoor very sexy in 'Yeh Mera Dil' song
- Donald Trump demands special prosecutor to probe Hillary Clinton allegations
- Assam BJP leader's son kidnapped, ULFA releases ISIS-style video