Lokayukta case: Guj govt moves SC
New Delhi: The Gujarat government on Thursday moved the Supreme Court challenging the state High Court verdict upholding appointment of Justice RA Mehta as Lokayukta by Governor Kamla Beniwal.
The appeal was filed by the Gujarat government after holding consultations with legal experts.
The development comes a day after the Gujarat High Court, in a majority decision, upheld the appointment of Lokayukta by the Governor, while dismissing the plea of the state challenging it.
The ruling was seen as a big embarrassment for state`s hardline Chief Minister Narendra Modi.
In its petition, the Gujarat government has contended that the Governor’s decision to appointment Mehta as Lokayukta bypassed constraints and restraints imposed by the Constitution on the Governor`s office.
Responding to the High Court ruling, BJP yesterday termed it as "a setback to federalism".
"The divided judgement of the Gujarat High Court is a setback to federalism. The Governor is a nominee of central government.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why does media give unnecessary importance to terrorists?
- Why does media give unnecessary importance to terrorists? - Part II
- Why does media give unnecessary importance to terrorists? - Part III
- Why does media give unnecessary importance to terrorists? - Part IV
- Why are schools insensitive over complexities of poor families?
- Pakistan's Hafiz Saeed managed the ISIS attack in Kabul that killed 80 people?
- The list of top 10 most valuable football clubs is out – See here!
- Watch Video: BlackBerry DTEK50, the world's most secured Android smartphone
- Unbelievable: Thousands throng daily at Taiwan McDonald's store to see a girl – Know why
- Kusal Mendis inspires Sri Lanka to a 196-run lead over Australia on a topsy-turvy 3rd day