Lokayukta case: Guj govt moves SC
New Delhi: The Gujarat government on Thursday moved the Supreme Court challenging the state High Court verdict upholding appointment of Justice RA Mehta as Lokayukta by Governor Kamla Beniwal.
The appeal was filed by the Gujarat government after holding consultations with legal experts.
The development comes a day after the Gujarat High Court, in a majority decision, upheld the appointment of Lokayukta by the Governor, while dismissing the plea of the state challenging it.
The ruling was seen as a big embarrassment for state`s hardline Chief Minister Narendra Modi.
In its petition, the Gujarat government has contended that the Governor’s decision to appointment Mehta as Lokayukta bypassed constraints and restraints imposed by the Constitution on the Governor`s office.
Responding to the High Court ruling, BJP yesterday termed it as "a setback to federalism".
"The divided judgement of the Gujarat High Court is a setback to federalism. The Governor is a nominee of central government.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Navjot Singh Sidhu diagnosed with DVT: Know about this life threatening disease!