Lokayukta issue exposed Narendra Modi`s double speak: Gujarat Congress
Ahmedabad: Gujarat Congress on Monday alleged that the review petition in the apex court on the Lokayukta issue has exposed the "double speak" and "dual face" of the Narendra Modi government.
"The BJP and Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi have been vociferously protesting against the Lokpal bill and its modalities but when it comes to the appointment of Lokayukta Modi government has fully endorsed and applauded the very same modalities," former Leader of Opposition Shaktisinh Gohil told reporters here.
He alleged this, referring to the contents of the petition recently filed by the state government in the Supreme Court seeking review of its earlier order upholding the appointment of Justice (Retd) R A Mehta as the Lokayukta in Gujarat.
"Modi government in its review petition has contended and termed as `proper and right` the modalities and process of Lokpal appointment," he said.
"While contending on the grounds of Lokayukta appointment, Modi government has submitted that the clause 4 structured by the Union Cabinet and Selection Committee for appointment of Lokayukta is totally fair, proper and reasonable," he claimed.
"Ironically, this is exactly what the BJP has been protesting at the national level with regards to Lokpal," he added.
Asserting that the review petition has no strong grounds and was just a `ploy` to stall the appointment of Lokayukta in the state Gohil alleged that the Chief Minister has squandered crores of rupees of the tax payers` money to `stall` it.
"Every details of money spent on Lokayukta litigation should be made public by this government," he said.
"... Or Chief Minister should pay all the expenses from his own pocket as this litigation has not been carried out for the welfare of the people but to cover up his corruption," he added.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Turkey has the right to defend its airspace, says Obama
- J&K: Terrorists attack Army camp at Tangdhar near LoC
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's ignorance on Kashmiri Pandits
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times
- Army camp attacked in J&K's Kupwara; three JeM terrorists, one civilian killed
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Aamir Khan's 12-day mystery: From lauding Modi's 'positive India' to dubbing India as 'intolerant'