Lord Jagannath`s 137th Rath Yatra begins in Ahmedabad on Sunday
Ahmedabad: Amid tight security arrangements, the Chariot of Lord Jagannath is all set to roll on the city roads, where lakhs of devotees will seek divine blessings during the 137th edition of the Rath Yatra beginning tomorrow from the 400-year-old temple in Jamalpur area here.
Rath Yatra or chariot festival is celebrated by Hindus on the second day of Sukla Paksha (waxing cycle of moon) in the month of Ashadh.
For the first time, woman chief minister of Gujarat, Anandi Patel will perform the `Pahind-Vidhi` (symbolic path cleaning on chariot of Lord Jagannath) after which the annual rath yatra of Lord Jagannath, elder brother Lord Baldev and their sister Devi Subhadra, will begin.
As per tradition, the Chief Minister performs this ritual. In keeping with a century-old tradition, elephants will have the first glimpse of Lord Jagannath, and they would lead the procession along its 14-km route.
The procession would comprise 18 elephants, 100 trucks, 30 religious congregations, 18 singing troupes, three chariots and seven cars.
It will pass through some communally sensitive areas, such as Kalupur, Prem Darwaja, Delhi Chakla, Dariyapur and Shahpur in the old city.
In a symbolic move to express the feelings of "brotherhood", the leaders of Muslim community has on today presented a replica of Lord`s chariot to Jagannath temple authority.
Tight security arrangements have been done in the city, as the Rath Yatra passes through communally sensitive areas of the city.
To avoid any attempts to breach communal harmony in the city, police will watch the narrow lanes of sensitive areas with `Netra` - an Unmanned Aerial Vehicle(UAV).
"Netra`s camera would provide feed to our laptop. It can fly up to 100 metres and give us a bird`s eye view", Joint Commissioner of Police (JCP) of Special Branch Vikas Sahay said.
According to Ahmedabad Police Commissioner Shivanand Jha, "More than 19,000 uniformed police and para-military men would be deployed to provide elaborate security for the Rath Yatra route."
Eight IG and DIG-level officers, 39 SPs, 76 DySPs, 222 police inspectors, 759 police sub-inspectors, 266 police women, 12,050 constables along with 36 companies of the Gujarat State Reserve Police (SRP) will also provide security to the Yatra.
Two Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) companies, eight companies of the Border Security Force (BSF), four Central Industrial Security Force (CISF) companies, four Rapid Action Force (RAF) companies and 4,500 homeguards will guard the Lord Jagannath procession.
The police has installed 80 closed circuit television cameras (CCTV) in such areas. Live feeds from these cameras will be monitored by the main control room.
17 police control room vans with GPS systems will be deployed to send SMSes to enable the top 200 police officers to track the exact location of the procession from anywhere.
Detection Crime Branch`s (DCB) 2,500 men have been given the responsibility to walk along the procession.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks