M S University professor held for ragging student
Vadodara (Gujarat): A faculty member at M S University of Baroda was today arrested for allegedly ragging, along with senior students of his department, a junior student on the campus, police said.
"Prof Mayur Gupta of the Department of Architecture was apprehended on charges of ragging first year student Harshvardan Sutariya on the campus," Sayajigunj Police Inspector A B Saiyed said.
We have recorded statements of officials of the Architecture department as the part of investigations and arrested Gupta under sections 342 (punishment for wrongful confinement), 143 (punishment for being a member of unlawful assembly), 203 (K) (giving false information respecting an offence committed) of Indian Penal Code (IPC), he said.
The incident came to light after Harshvardhan`s father Ramesh Murar Sutariya filed a complaint with police two days ago.
Police said a video clip showing the ragging incident, involving Gupta and senior students, including a girl, of the University was submitted by the complainant besides other documents including recordings of conversations on Harshvardhan`s mobile phone.
Besides Gupta, five students Parth Patel, Nirmal Shah, Vivek Panchal, Kunal Patel and Nisha Panchal are also named in the complaint, Saiyed said.
According to police, Harshvardhan`s seniors asked him to do `obscene` acts on the campus.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India