M S University professor held for ragging student
Vadodara (Gujarat): A faculty member at M S University of Baroda was today arrested for allegedly ragging, along with senior students of his department, a junior student on the campus, police said.
"Prof Mayur Gupta of the Department of Architecture was apprehended on charges of ragging first year student Harshvardan Sutariya on the campus," Sayajigunj Police Inspector A B Saiyed said.
We have recorded statements of officials of the Architecture department as the part of investigations and arrested Gupta under sections 342 (punishment for wrongful confinement), 143 (punishment for being a member of unlawful assembly), 203 (K) (giving false information respecting an offence committed) of Indian Penal Code (IPC), he said.
The incident came to light after Harshvardhan`s father Ramesh Murar Sutariya filed a complaint with police two days ago.
Police said a video clip showing the ragging incident, involving Gupta and senior students, including a girl, of the University was submitted by the complainant besides other documents including recordings of conversations on Harshvardhan`s mobile phone.
Besides Gupta, five students Parth Patel, Nirmal Shah, Vivek Panchal, Kunal Patel and Nisha Panchal are also named in the complaint, Saiyed said.
According to police, Harshvardhan`s seniors asked him to do `obscene` acts on the campus.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!