Maintain status quo at 2002 riot-hit Gulbarg society: Police
Ahmedabad: Police have asked members of Gulbarg Society, which saw massacre of 69 people during the 2002 riots in the city, to maintain status quo at the site as it was probing complaint of alleged misappropriation of funds by two NGOs active in the area.
In a March 18 letter addressed to the Chairman/Secretary of Gulbarg Co-operative Housing Society Ltd, the Special Operation Group (Crime Branch) said it had received a complaint from residents against Sabrang Trust and Citizens for Justice and Peace (CJP) led by social activist Teesta Setalvad.
According to the complaint, Sabrang Trust and CJP had been receiving local and foreign donations in the name of providing legal and financial assistance to the riot victims and to develop Gulbarg Society into a museum.
The complainants have also alleged these organisations are involved in misappropriation of funds. SOG has, therefore, asked the residents to maintain status quo in the Society as a probe was on into their complaint.
The society members had written a letter on March 12 to the Joint Commissioner of Police (Crime) seeking registration of a complaint against Setalvad for alleged cheating and misappropriation of funds.
The letter said the members were neither provided any financial support by CJP to reconstruct their houses nor was the Society converted into a museum.
Setalvad and Sabrang Trust have denied the allegations levelled against them.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof