Make IOs, prosecutors accountable in rape cases: Gujarat HC
Ahmedabad: Coming down heavily on the police and prosecutors for their "casualness" in handling of rape cases, the Gujarat High Court has said they should be held accountable if they "fail the victims in securing justice".
"It is high time the investigating officer as well as the prosecutor concerned are held accountable, and appropriate actions taken against them after affording them opportunity of being heard and explain the circumstances leading to failure of the prosecution," the HC said in a recent judgement.
The division bench of justices DH Waghela and GR Udhwani also called for guidelines for the IOs and prosecutors, while dismissing an appeal filed by the state government against acquittal in a rape case.
The government had sought High Court`s leave to challenge the acquittal of four men in an abduction and rape case by Vadodara Sessions Court last year.
Refusing to grant leave, the court noted: "Even in cases of gross failure of prosecution, no action is taken against any IO....Only a formal filing of appeal and an application for leave to appeal are resorted to, obviously with a view to finishing the formality of exhausting avenues for judicial remedy.
"The prosecution fails mainly because of incompetence, disinterest or complicity of the investigation officer in failing to secure necessary evidence.
"Merely initiating prosecution and producing evidence before courts or filing appeals do not meet the ends of justice. Failure of the prosecution in genuine cases...Erodes the faith of the people in the rule of law."
The High Court also said that government should stop prosecuting people on "defective or dishonest investigation", while directing the government to take measures for "improving and streamlining the process of investigation and prosecution at trial court level".
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know