Man sets daughter afire for eloping with boyfriend
Surat: In an apparent case of `honour killing` a man allegedly burnt alive his 20-year-old daughter for eloping and insisting on marrying her boyfriend, police said.
Rubina Shaikh died on the spot yesterday and her mother Madina also suffered burn injuries while trying to save her, police said.
Immediately after the incident, the deceased`s father, Mohammad Burhan Shaikh, surrendered to the Khatodara police in Surat district.
"Rubina fell in love with Javed Yusuf Shaikh, who lives in the same locality. But her father Burhan Shaikh was angry over this relationship. So both of them eloped on June 13," Khatodara police inspector C K Patel said.
"Rubina`s father conveyed her that he was willing to get them married with all family fanfare if they returned home. As soon as she reached home, he poured petrol and set her afire," Patel said.
Rubina`s boyfriend Javed and his family members rushed to her home and tried to save her, but Burhan Shaikh prevented them. Rubina`s brother Siddiqui also attacked Javed`s father, police said.
Police has booked Burhan Shaikh for murder and his son Siddiqi for assault.
Further investigation was on.
- J&K: Teams named after militants in cricket tournament
- Laser walls activated along Indo-Pak border to keep vigil against terrorists
- Haji Ali Dargah row: Trupti Desai wants support of Aamir, Salman, SRK
- ISRO successfully launches IRNSS-1G into the orbit
- IRNSS-1G launch: It's a great gift to people of India from scientists, says PM Modi
- Check cgbse.nic.in, www.cgbse.net 10th HS Results 2016 Chhattisgarh CG Board, CGBSE today at 10 AM
- Pakistani Sikhs open temple after 73 years, risking attacks
- 20 killed in Syria regime strike on Aleppo
- Donald Trump vows `America first` foreign policy
- Salah Abdeslam slapped with terror charges over Paris attacks