Man sets daughter afire for eloping with boyfriend
Surat: In an apparent case of `honour killing` a man allegedly burnt alive his 20-year-old daughter for eloping and insisting on marrying her boyfriend, police said.
Rubina Shaikh died on the spot yesterday and her mother Madina also suffered burn injuries while trying to save her, police said.
Immediately after the incident, the deceased`s father, Mohammad Burhan Shaikh, surrendered to the Khatodara police in Surat district.
"Rubina fell in love with Javed Yusuf Shaikh, who lives in the same locality. But her father Burhan Shaikh was angry over this relationship. So both of them eloped on June 13," Khatodara police inspector C K Patel said.
"Rubina`s father conveyed her that he was willing to get them married with all family fanfare if they returned home. As soon as she reached home, he poured petrol and set her afire," Patel said.
Rubina`s boyfriend Javed and his family members rushed to her home and tried to save her, but Burhan Shaikh prevented them. Rubina`s brother Siddiqui also attacked Javed`s father, police said.
Police has booked Burhan Shaikh for murder and his son Siddiqi for assault.
Further investigation was on.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert