Man sets daughter afire for eloping with boyfriend
Surat: In an apparent case of `honour killing` a man allegedly burnt alive his 20-year-old daughter for eloping and insisting on marrying her boyfriend, police said.
Rubina Shaikh died on the spot yesterday and her mother Madina also suffered burn injuries while trying to save her, police said.
Immediately after the incident, the deceased`s father, Mohammad Burhan Shaikh, surrendered to the Khatodara police in Surat district.
"Rubina fell in love with Javed Yusuf Shaikh, who lives in the same locality. But her father Burhan Shaikh was angry over this relationship. So both of them eloped on June 13," Khatodara police inspector C K Patel said.
"Rubina`s father conveyed her that he was willing to get them married with all family fanfare if they returned home. As soon as she reached home, he poured petrol and set her afire," Patel said.
Rubina`s boyfriend Javed and his family members rushed to her home and tried to save her, but Burhan Shaikh prevented them. Rubina`s brother Siddiqui also attacked Javed`s father, police said.
Police has booked Burhan Shaikh for murder and his son Siddiqi for assault.
Further investigation was on.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Cabinet meeting on 7th Pay Commission may approve higher salaries for govt employees
- Cabinet meeting on 7th Pay Commission may approve higher salaries for govt employees - Part II
- Monsoon havoc: Delhi lacks proper drainage system
- SC rejects plea seeking ban on WhatsApp messaging app
- 7th Pay Commission: Cabinet approves pay hike for govt employees