Maya Kodnani moves HC for bail on health grounds
Ahmedabad: Former Gujarat minister and life-term convict in Naroda Patiya riot case Maya Kodnani has applied for bail before the High Court on medical grounds.
The bail application is expected to come up for hearing after the Diwali vacation.
Kodnani, an ex-minister in Narendra Modi cabinet, who is currently undergoing treatment in a hospital, has sought the relief for six months, her counsel said today.
According to her counsel, Kodnani has submitted medical certificates with her petition, filed two days ago, explaining the grounds for seeking bail to avail of further treatment.
A special SIT court had in August 2012 sentenced her to 18 years life imprisonment in connection with the 2002 riots at Naroda Patiya where 97 people were brutally killed.
She will, however, have to serve 10 years in jail under section 326 (voluntarily causing grievous hurt by dangerous weapons or means) of IPC before her life sentence gets underway, thereby effectively getting a 28-year imprisonment.
Among 29 others convicted by the court, seven persons, including Bajrang Dal leader Babu Bajrangi, were given enhanced life term and they will have to first serve a 10-year term under section 326 before their life sentences begin whereas 22 others were given simple life imprisonment of 14 years.
Kodanai, who was made Minister of State for Women and Child Development in 2007, resigned after she was arrested in the case in March 2009.
The massacre had taken place a day after the Godhra train burning incident of February 27, 2002.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Turkey has the right to defend its airspace, says Obama
- J&K: Terrorists attack Army camp at Tangdhar near LoC
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's ignorance on Kashmiri Pandits
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times
- Army camp attacked in J&K's Kupwara; three JeM terrorists, one civilian killed
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Aamir Khan's 12-day mystery: From lauding Modi's 'positive India' to dubbing India as 'intolerant'